Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition 64-bit Issues on HTPC

1 reply [Last post]
Razear
Razear's picture

I recently purchased an ASRock Ion 330 Pro machine to use as an HTPC for my HDTV. It didn't come with an OS so I decided to install the latest version of Ubuntu on it. I connected the machine via HDMI to my 1920x1200 computer monitor to install the OS and everything before I plugged it into my HDTV which has a resolution of 1920x1080. My question is, when the OS boots into the desktop screen I can't see the top menu bar to access the settings. I have to point my mouse above the actual HDTV screen to get to those options, it doesn't appear on the screen. I suspect this is a resolution problem because when I installed the OS at first the display I used was 1920x1200 and the HDTV is 1920x1080. How do I fix it so that the top menu bar appears on the actual HDTV?

On a side note, does anyone know if Ubuntu has support for hardware acceleration for 1080p video playback because for some videos when I put it into full screen it starts getting choppy but is smooth if it's not full screen. I have the latest drivers installed for the NVIDIA Ion chipset on the ASRock Ion 330 Pro.

Razear
Razear's picture

-SOLVED-

Ubuntu was causing a lot of problems (both 32-bit and 64-bit). I decided to use a copy of XP 32-bit and it works perfectly fine for streaming 1080p.