OverClocking 101

11 replies [Last post]
Tiv
Tiv's picture

"I have overclocked the Internet... T35tiN' 1 2 3?" -Jared Maynard

The night was sultry and emitting oppressive smells of burning silicon. Like a sinister madman Tivon probed the inner workings of his motherboard. "IT NEEDS MORE POWER!!"

Something here is said. blah blah.. volts.. blah blah Gigabyte Motherboard.. blah blah Cooler Master V8. Prime95 does not test video games crashing. MCH Core is Northbridge and ICH Core is South Bridge. Volts ect.. More later.. Ta Da! lol WTH? More later.

And there you have it! 100% Kickass! I hope you liked my OverClocking 101, Enjoy! yes

What are you doing? Go away! There is nothing to see here... indecision

You still here? I guess you don't give up.  That's a good quality not giving into the problems we face daily, but then again it does lead to madness. At some point you will have probably suffered from the addiction of OverClocking. The hardware is never good enough straight out of the box. It always needs a little tweak to be better than everyone else. There is just something fun about turning hardware into these monstrous beasts of power. MUAHAH! devil

I sleep fine at night knowing we are banning people who deserve it.  Tivon
Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

dustyschaffner
dustyschaffner's picture

congratulations you have royally confuzzled me.......

haha i really hope you go into more detail about this soon so i can atleast have a hint about whats going on

Tiv
Tiv's picture

LOL Sorry about that. I had an idea to share my overclocking adventures and explore the chaos that lies within my decent into madness. But I ran out of time and had to cut the lawn first. haha

Tiv
Tiv's picture

I'm going to talk about my EP45-UD3P v1.1 Gigabyte board. It has Japanese capacitors, digital mosfets, north bridge and south bridge cooling. Most importantly it's a good deal and can OverClock. My only problem is that S3 Sleep fails and goes into a Reboot Loop. Who needs S3 when we have hibernate and Quick Boot. But still, what is the problem with resuming from Sleep with a high FSB? We are trying to save power! I sent them a letter once and they basically brushed me off as if my system OverClock was not stable. It surely can't be a flaw with their motherboard... BS! Looks like Gigabyte gave up because no new bios’s have been made for my motherboard after April of 2010. Now they leave me with their mistakes and inability to be as kickass as myself. Thanks Gigabyte! I'll buy another brand next time that can overclock and provide working features.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

The Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad processor was the cutting edge processor technology for the desktop PC about 2 years ago. Fits nicely on my Mid-Range system, but clearly it's outdated by the i5 and the i7 of today, or is it? I recently built an i5-750 system with all the latest hardware and the 3dmark score was the same as mine without over clocking. Did I miss the speed wagon here or did nothing happen for CPU speeds in the last year? All I’ve seen this year is SSD's that die early or run slow after usage and slow performing DX11 cards without many games using it.

I've heard before that programs like 3dMark are dated and do not use multi-cores to their max potential. Okay, that's fare enough but that still doesn't make whatever i5, i7 or i9 brings to the table actually improve on anything. Potential speed and reality are two very different things.

I'm feeling unimpressed and no desire to buy new hardware if they can't beat my overclocking gear.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Take a 2.4GHz CPU and OverClock it to 3.6GHz. It was 2.66.666R FSB * 9 = 2.4GHz or 2,400MHz. Then I make it run 400 FSB * 9 = 3.6GHz or 3,600MHz. This Quad has 4 physical cores running 2,400MHz * 4 = 9,600MHz combined processing power and Overclocked to 3,600MHz * 4 = 14,000MHz of combined processing power. 14,000MHz divided by 9600MHz = 1.50. That makes this a 50% OverClock just counting the CPU numbers, but there is more to this when you look at other factors. 266MHz FSB is raised to 400MHz FSB, again about 50% faster Front Side Buss. You will get more bandwidth the more you raise the FSB and CPU clock. What that does for an increase on other parts of the system is beyond me as these motherboards often do not provide the actual math behind the complicated dividers. For example my board has a memory divider of 2.66C and that means absolutely jack to me. All I know is that it keeps my memory speed running within normal levels.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

People will tell you to raise the NorthBridge voltage if you overclock with a high FSB. Clearly that never sank into my skull and I left all of that at normal or auto settings. There is nothing in the BIOS that will say NorthBridge or SouthBridge. Why not add these terms to the BIOS menu. After all these are the terms that we use to describe Overclocking? I'm at a complete loss why someone would not say raise the MCH Core (NorthBridge) voltage from 1.1V to 1.36V at 400FSB or above. How about the ICH Core (SouthBridge) from 1.1 to 1.2V or the I/O from 1.5 to 1.57V. That right here is the secret to my 400FSB Overclock on this EP45-UD3P motherboard.

I have tried plenty of times to overclock my current rig to the max but I wanted that S3 Sleep. Soon as they got Quick Boot working I figured I would go back to overclocking to the max. One thing after another I would always lower it to keep my games stable. Then I would go back to testing with Prime95 and the CPU is perfect. It turns out if the CPU is stable but games crash after a while it could be the MCH voltages that everyone keeps talking about, in other words the Northbridge. Lesson learned.

Cooling has become more of a problem in the summer now. I want to try for a higher overclock speed but if the core temperatures are in the 70 – 80C range its best not to push it further and risk damaging the hardware. Raising my CPU Core volts to 1.4 does produce a lot more heat internally at the core level and also within the case itself. My Internal core temperature with Prime95 is 79ºC with my Cooler Master V8 Cooler. This V8 heatsink is so freakishly huge I could hardly believe my little Overclock would get things this hot. Using two zip ties I attached an old brushless Panaflo 120 x 38mm Ultra High speed fan to the side of the V8 and that alone dropped the max temperature down to 72ºC. I'm sure the extremely high static pressure helps greatly here. I don't know about you guys but that's one heck of a drop just adding another fan. In order to go higher I’ll need a good water cooling kit.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

I dropped my CPU Core Volts from 1.4 to 1.38 and it's holding nicely. That lowers my max temps down from 72C to 67C.

I also dropped my MCH Core of 1.36 down to 1.30.

Interestingly with the adjustments of the MCH Core Volts S3 SLEEP has worked the last 2 times I tried to use it.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

!#$%!#$ Sleep is not working..

dustyschaffner
dustyschaffner's picture

dont feel bad,  putting my computer on sleep with my crap motherboard will bluescreen my computer so ur not alone

RGNDRUNKJUMPY@g...
RGNDRUNKJUMPY@gmail.com's picture

what is the best cpu stepping cpu

Tiv
Tiv's picture

The stepping is the version of the CPU. Using CPU-Z it will display this information about what revision and stepping a processor is. This can change a lot from batches made all over the world. The theory is that CPU's made around the same time and place will generally have similar overclocking characteristics. There are places on the Internet that sell pre-tested over clocks or sell known stepping and revisions of good CPU's.

To simply ask what is the best CPU stepping CPU depends on what CPU's you are asking about.

My Q6600 is a Stepping B with a Revision G0.