Need help overclocking a 2600K

5 replies [Last post]
Vortex2012
Vortex2012's picture

So I put my new build together recently, and I've been having some overclocking issues. For whatever reason my bios likes to save every single setting except for the multiplier. Every time I change the multiplier, boot up the computer, and run cpu-z and prime95 the multiplier just sits at the stock 34 instead of what I set it to. Then when I go back into the bios, the multiplier is set to 34 instead of any changes I may have made to it. This is the only setting in the entire bios that does this.

Does anyone have any details on how to overclock on a Z68 platform? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my build specs if you need them:

MOBO: MSI Z68A-GD80
CPU: i7 2600K
RAM: 8GB of G.Skill RipjawsX @1600mhz 7-8-7-24
GPU: two MSI Lightning Xtreme Edition GTX 580's in SLI
SSD: 240GB Patriot Wildfire
HDD: two 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID0
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair AX1200

Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8Ghz | Corsair H100 push/pull | MSI Z68-GD80 | 8GB G.Skill RipjawsX @1600mhz 7-8-7-24 | 2x MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Editions in SLI | 240GB Patriot Wildfire SSD | 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black in RAID 0 (2TB) | 320GB Hitachi Deskstar | LG Bluray Drive | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Polk Audio 2.1 speaker system | Sennheiser 558 headphones | Corsair AX1200 | Cooler Master HAF X | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Acer P243W 24" monitor (1920x1200)

ripley
ripley's picture

I have the Z68A-GD65 G3... hope I can help.

Do you have Cstate turned off? (basically you need to go in and turn off all "green" futures) (if you haven't already)

I have found that you need to also do things in steps with this BIOS... it is touchy. so you need to change the multiplier and then save... and then save and exit. in that order. do not just go straight to save and quit.

I have mine setup @ 4.7 Ghz+ 101x47 1.38vcore.

You might also check for a newer BIOS on MSIs website and even try Beta BIOSs if you are feeling wild... I run a beta BIOS on mine and it is much much better then MSIs most recent release.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=151148.0

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686269

Vortex2012
Vortex2012's picture

Well I took your advice and some advice from another person as well, and it looks like I should be able to get to at least 4.9Ghz. The only problem is that I can overclock within Windows with MSI's software, but I can't save the overclock into the actual bios. Every time I adjust the multiplier in the bios it just resets itself after I save the configuration. I can overclock just fine within the OS though.

Maybe I need an updated bios?

*****Edit*****
I'm seriously about to throw this fucking motherboard out the window right now. I've been trying to update the bios but it just flat out won't do it. When I try to flash the bios manually it says that I need to connect USB media in order to flash the bios, but I already have a flash drive and a cd with the new bios on it and it won't detect either of those. I can't even select the source of the new bios file. This shit's seriously driving me crazy.

Vortex2012
Vortex2012's picture

Well after both MSI's "M Flash" and online updater in the bios both failed me, I saw that there was something called "Live Updater" on the drivers disk. I managed to installed that, download the new bios through it, and then flash the bios while I was still in the OS, so I now have the latest bios version for my motherboard. I'm going to try to overclock through the bios again now and see if it works.

*****Update*****
The new bios version works flawlessly! I just booted into Windows at 4.8Ghz. I'll let you guys know my final overclocking results when I get there.

ripley
ripley's picture

Glad to hear... I personally left mine @ 4.7 because I can run a much much lower voltage.

@ 5.2 i had to run 1.5

@ 5 i could get away with 1.48

@ 4.7 1.38v which is a huge difference and not a big enough difference in performance to cook my CPU

Vortex2012
Vortex2012's picture

Yeah, I've spent a good while overclocking today, and I think I've finally found the sweet spot. There is one small problem, however. I have the multiplier set at 48, but it likes to switch between 46 and 47 when the cpu is under load. I've read some reviews and there's supposed to be a way to fix it by upping the Max TDP in the bios to 200 or 250, but ever since I updated the bios that setting doesn't even exist anymore. Either way I'm pretty happy though, because my clock speeds are always between 4.75Ghz and 4.86Ghz when the cpu is under load. I figure that's good enough for me, lol. It's still an amazing overclock.

Here are the Overclocking settings and temps I'm getting:

Base Clock: 103.5
Multiplier: 48 (switches back and forth between 46 and 47 when under load)
Voltage: 1.485V (According to CPU-Z, it's actually around 1.464V though)
Load Temps: 67C-75C
Idle Temps: 31C-37C

If anyone knows of a way to fix that little problem though, please tell me. I'm still really happy with the overclock, but if I can get it even higher that'd be really sweet. I'm going to be running Prime95 overnight just to be absolutely sure that it's stable.

*****Update*****
Ok, I fixed everything. It's much more stable now with lower voltage and lower temps. Not to mention that the multiplier doesn't jump around anymore.

Clock Speed: 4.8Ghz
Base Clock: 102.2
Multiplier: 47
Voltage: 1.43V
Load Temp: 74C
Idle Temp: 37C

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2085345