Dual-monitor flickering problem 5870

5 replies [Last post]
TrAnWhiZ

Hey, I'm new at those forums but was on the youtube channel quite a while, anyways;

I got an issue overclocking my 5870 (manufactured by Sapphire, bios flashed to ASUS bios).

When I OC it even 1 mhz up on the GPU (or enabling ATi overdrive) one of my monitors will flicker when there is something going on on the screen, it also flickers when the GPU clock is changing from 2D mode (400 mhz) to 3D performance.

Note that in-game it won't flicker, but in 2D idle mode its does flicker and is really annoying, and also I think this problem is pretty popular with this card.

Using MSI afterburner, Win7 x64. if you want my full specs ask me so I'll do the CPU-Z validate thingy.

viperman5686
viperman5686's picture

It might have something to do with the overclock being applied on and off weirdly.

Try using some other overclocking software, like RivaTuner or ATi Tool, to overclock both the 3D and 2D modes.  They might manage it better.

If Grand Theft Auto teaches me how to kill, then Need For Speed teaches me how to drive.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Try to disable ATI HDMI Audio device. Most flickering is when the power settings come into play and it's flickers when down-clocking.

I sleep fine at night knowing we are banning people who deserve it.  Tivon
Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

TrAnWhiZ

Thanks for the replies.

Rivatuner and ATi Tools aren't working with the 5870 video card, but in both ATi Catalyst Overdrive and MSI Afterburner,  OCing result in flickering when in 2D mode.

Tried disabling the ATi HD audio from the device manager but the flickering still remain.

TrAnWhiZ

Solved it by capping the 2D clocks at 400/900

Wazooty

TrAnWhiZ wrote:

Solved it by capping the 2D clocks at 400/900

Might I ask how exactly you do that?