I installed this router in February, it came with the most recent firmware right out of the box. Set it up, and it easily handled all devices, N or G, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Pretty much the easiest install I have ever done!
However, Asus had a security fault that was discovered, and released a followup firmware on April 16th, which I installed that day. The router has continued to run flawlessly until day before yesterday, when connections on the 2.4Ghz band became unreliable (drop offs or unable to connect in the first place). I reloaded the firmware, and even went so far as to fully reset the unit and reprogram it, but the problem continues. I went to far as to load a Merlin custom firmware to it, with no change in function.
The router still advertises it's SSID over 2.4Ghz, but no matter what I do I can't seem to restore stable operation. Any clues?
Contacted Asus, and determined it is a hardware failure in the transceiver. Thank God Asus is easy to deal with. RMA in progress.
I had one of earlier versions of these and had very similar experiences. Since that time I have been using netgear routers and not had an issue with any of them (Current is an ac1900 Netgear Nighthawk R7000 beastie).
Sadly, I have murdered several Netgear routers, Belkin routers, Motorola routers... I'm just bad to them!
I actually have a late edition of this Asus, which the B series (second gen board) showed very strong reliability. We had Century Link setting up a network hotspot that the tech left in diagnostic mode... which cooked several local routers. They were broadcasting on all network frequencies and channels, and admit it, but won't replace my neighbors' routers that both also fried trying to push over the noise. I was just lucky that I was under the warranty. However I have organized a neighborhood FCC complaint, and had an FCC contractor's truck out just a couple days ago sampling the transmitter.
Got the router back, new circuit board and transmitter pack, and it works brilliantly again! Yay, the internet is FAST once more!
Failure renewed, exactly as before. Checked the SN and it is the same unit, not a refurb (as Asus had emailed me I was going to received) which means they supposedly refurbed my original part. I checked all of the part data I could and it looks like none of the transmitter units were touched. In fact, I'm of the opinion they never opened this one up (as the glue seals are still intact covering the screws; usually you see a little extra glue mess that they missed during cleanup).
Which means DESPITE THE FACT that I had told them repeatedly that I had reloaded the firmware (different versions) a dozen times, and reset the ROM a dozen times, I think they reloaded the firmware and reset it and put it back in the box without testing.
For the first time, I am angry at Asus.
After rolling around with Asus, we picked up the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 V2.0. I will continue to try to get Asus to replace the faulty radios, but so far the Archer is rocking hardcore and I doubt I'll have any desire to replace it.
Copyright 2013 © Godem Online Inc. | Web and server solutions by NewTech Solutions.