Project: 4550z

51 replies [Last post]
DraginElite

hi all :)

sorry I hadn't posted here sooner about this mod/build today until my wife reminded me that I could build a log here also :)

most of this will be copy and paste from the other locations i have posted this build at

Start of Copy/Paste

Hi folks ....

First time for me to document a Build.

This build is going to involve the HP Pavilion 4550z (or at least using just the case)

It may take me awhile to do this build as I currently work in Retail and will do it when funds become available to me so please be patient as it comes together.

What I hope to accomplish with this build is ALOT of power in a very small space.

My current plans for this involves the following

ASUS Rampage II Gene i7 uATX mobo (may change as tech changes so quickly)
i7 920
6Gb triple channel ram
2 GTX 295's ... yes I said 2 of them
PSU's - still working on that part - have some ideas but need to iron them out first

here's some pics of the rig as it sits ..... did I forget to mention that I had aquired thie computer for free? hehe

So I would also like to get some suggestions as to what colors to paint this and what other hardware I could possibly add to it.

I will post updates as they become available

UPDATE: 1

UPDATE: Disassembly

These pics are of the disassembly so far. As you can tell yeah it's going to get very cramped very quickly. I still have yet more to do in the way of cleaning and removing the panels by the rivits as it will be totaly taken apart to have areas fiddled with and slightly rearanged.

when this rig is totally done then I get to test it's performance :)

Enjoy

Case cover removed - Will eventually cut the sides off where they meet the top to make them more easily removable for future repairs - so in essence 1 piece will be become 3

yup ... it needs a serious bath

some pieces removed

nice thing for removable motherboard trays :)

Case minus some more parts

some surround shots of the mostly bare case

and finally all the pieces in one area of whats left of the case

dont be surprised if some of the parts I dont need end up for sale here ... lol

now it's time for me to clean up my little mess befoe my wife comes home and tans my hide ... hehe

well thats it for this update

hope you like it so far ... if you have any thoughts or suggestions just shout them out ... who knows ... your idea could end up in this build in some small or big way :)

END of Copy/Paste

so what do you all think of this build?

Tivon;703485 wrote:He has enough hardware to play my game for me..lol

TheConqueror

I honestly dont think 2 GTX 295s will work out. Not only because they are 10.5 inches long each, but because each one takes up 2 PCI slots, and you have four.. so unless you have anything else that uses PCI slots, I would refrain from doing 2 GTX 295.

sgsavvy

TheConqueror;717189 wrote:
I honestly dont think 2 GTX 295s will work out. Not only because they are 10.5 inches long each, but because each one takes up 2 PCI slots, and you have four.. so unless you have anything else that uses PCI slots, I would refrain from doing 2 GTX 295.

good point

DraginElite

TheConqueror;717189 wrote:

I dont plan on having anything else using PCI slots as I will be using most of the onboard stuff at the I/O Shield area ... and as for the 295's not fitting .... they will ... it will just take a small bit of cutting ... and no i'm not going to cut the cards down ... just wait till you see how i plan on mounting them ;)

DraginElite

Heres my idea for cooling the 295's without (hopefully) adding any more heat into the case

what do you all think of this hare-brained idea?

TheConqueror

Hot air rises. Top exhaust. Thats all I have to say

TheConqueror

I def recommend getting a fan or two up top. I personally have a Scythe Slipstream on top of my case (Antec P180) and after my build is done, if i am not satisfied with temps might mod it and make another fan

DraginElite

UPDATE: HDD Decision

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to decide which HDD to get and how many.

So I would appreciate input as to which one(s) to get and I only have a couple factors that cannot change as to where I plan on mouting them.

1: Must be 2.5" size ... aka Laptop HDD size
2: Must have SATA Connections

I had entertained the thought regarding SSD's due to lower power requirements, less noice, and less heat some still on the Fence on that idea.

DraginElite

Delusion77;717692 wrote:
there are some WD Scorpio Black hardrives that look pritty good
(320/250/160 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM)

and then thers always the WD Velociraptor 2.5" edition (there are 3 versions - and 1 is standard 2.5" - 300/150 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 10,000 RPM)

can you link me to the 2.5" Velocirapotor version? ... i cant seem to locate it on newegg

DraginElite

sweet ... thanks for the info :)

not sure if you can take the velociraptors apart that have the back place and if you did they may have some thermal compound that if broken kiss your warrenty goodbye

and as for appearance they appear taller than a standard laptop hdd ... if thats the case then i can only possibly install 2 of the 150's for raid 0 with no drives for storage :(

TheConqueror

The only SSDs worth getting are Intel's, which start at like 400$.

Why not just get a laptop HDD?

DraginElite

TheConqueror;717729 wrote:
The only SSDs worth getting are Intel's, which start at like 400$.

Why not just get a laptop HDD?

I was planning on it ... the SSD portion of an earlier post of mine was stating that i'm willing to entertain an SSD ..... but yeah .... laptop HDD's are smaller than the 2.5" velociraptors :( .... but where i plan on installing them i can mount 3 lappy hdd's ... was thinking of 2 in raid-0 and the third for storage.

What sizes would you recommend for the raid drives and the storage drive? ... and i'm figuring all of them having the 7200 speed for the raid drives and 5400 for the storage drive?

DraginElite

Salavat23;717843 wrote:
Let me get this straight, you can afford all of that nice hardware, yet you decide to shove it into a pre-y2k beige box? Very brave of you.:)

Let me tell you right off the bat that you can't fit any ATX PSU in that compartment without any heavy drilling. Also, any ATX PSU will leave only about 2-3cm of clearance for the CPU, meaning it will be impossible to install ANY cpu cooler, thus an unworkable rig. If the Core i7 loads at about 70 degrees celcius with stock cooling and decent airflow, expect loads of over 200 degrees Celsius (if it even turns on).

Next, you will fry all the components without any 100+cfm (in this particular scenario given the hardware and room inside the case) intake or exhaust fans in the front or back. Even if you can install a GTX 295 in there, you won't be able to put an intake fan on the front of the case. Expect 100+ degrees Celsius temps, even with side cooling. That is, if you can manage to have the computer run without any CPU cooler at all given the PSU is installed in that location. And with those temps, don't expect to have your hardware last a while, if at all.

And your 60mm and 100mm fans will create tons of noise, and probably won't even push as much air as a single decent 120mm fan.

IMO, this won't work. I've seen hundreds of full-out mods, but this one is just a recipe for disaster. You will end up with an ugly box that runs loud as hell with those small fans, and loads at or past threshold temperatures. Not to mention that it probably won't even work because you won't have enough space for a CPU cooler if an ATX PSU is installed.

IMO, try to find a different case (you can find slightly larger older mATX computers for free, if you wish) that would be much easier to work with.

I wish you the best of luck for this project, but its hard for me to envision this turning out well.

ty for you input on this project

your point on temps has gotten me to rethink how to go about cooling the CPU .... i'm starting to figure out a way to throw the 920 underwater with a rear 2x120 rad but where to install the other parts i still need to figure out.

and you say at least a 100+ CFM fan? .... what about the "blowhole" mod that others has stated? ... possibly right on the top near the rear?

and as for affording it well I had stated in the original post about working in retail and will come together as funds become available.

Even if this doesnt work out with this case (which it very well might not :Wink) I do have access possibly to a slightly larger case ... similar style to this current one ... and if THAT case doesnt work out at least i will have all the parts to put into a "real" case ... :lmao

I just happen to have aquired this particular case for free so the only thing it's going to cost me is time to mess with it.

That and I had not heard of this being done so might as well try it out and see what comes of it. :KICK ASS

So we all shall see if this is EVEN possible.

At least if it can or can't be done this build will probably be linked to to prove as to the possibility or near impossibility of it happening to someone else in the future :Yea right

DraginElite

Question for those reading this thread

Do you yourself or know of someone that has modded one of these SLI bridges?

The current connector on the far right i would like to move to where the Red box is and the Blue line is where I would cut it off in essence shortening it.

Would it work? And if it did is there a paint out on the market that I can use to mask the silver solder points that is non-conductive so I won't produce a short?

I'm thinking of doing this as I alread have one in my collection and even though I could buy a "short" version already pre-made it could be a simple cheap mod to acheive what I need keeping the overall costs lower.

What does everyone think?

DraginElite

thanks for your input on these :)

robodude666
robodude666's picture

Are you doing this because you grew a connection to this particular case? Or just for the hell of it?

Let me remind you that how dusty that system is, and how small that heatsink is.

Not that I'm stomping on creativity or what not... But you've got some sexy hardware listed there. Do yourself a favor and buy a Lian Li v351... It's a really sexy case with a nice small footprint.

DraginElite

robodude666;723770 wrote:
Are you doing this because you grew a connection to this particular case? Or just for the hell of it?

Let me remind you that how dusty that system is, and how small that heatsink is.

Not that I'm stomping on creativity or what not... But you've got some sexy hardware listed there. Do yourself a favor and buy a Lian Li v351... It's a really sexy case with a nice small footprint.

i've grown a connection to this case yes :)

whats bad is I have to have all the parts first for measurements so i can even mark cut and take the case apart by the rivets so it can get a very very thourough cleaning and a fresh coat of paint :)

and whats scary is i have been talking with someone about possibly WCing almost everything in this build :O

I was talking with my wife today that when i'm done I can use this little rig as a resume (sp) ... Company "Do you have any modding experience?" Me (places computer on their counter/desk) "will this do?" ... LOL

robodude666
robodude666's picture

Ah, I see.. Well, in that case go ahead and chop away! Will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

If ya can fit a triple radiator (Thermochill PA120.3) I'd happy sell you my old LC stuff (~$400 in stuffzz) for a nice discounted price.

DraginElite

robodude666;723774 wrote:
Ah, I see.. Well, in that case go ahead and chop away! Will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

If ya can fit a triple radiator (Thermochill PA120.3) I'd happy sell you my old LC stuff (~$400 in stuffzz) for a nice discounted price.

hehe ... i'm going to love choping it up :) ... lots and lots of dremel practice :P

and as for the rad would that be capable of cooling 2-295 co-op's and an i7 at the same time?

robodude666
robodude666's picture

I'm pretty positive that it would... The Thermochill PA120.3 is considered one of the best radiators ever made, and one of the most expensive! Not sure about the current stuff, but it's able to handle a Q6600 and a couple video cards.

The radiator itself is only about 15" long which isn't too bad. If the video card is 10" long, you should be able to mount it somehow with a max of ~1.5" overhang..

DraginElite

SWEET ... does that read 4535? ... will definately have to look at the work they've done

StylesCD
StylesCD's picture

TBH thats the worst possible case for that hardware...

if you wanna build inside a mini box get a single cool GPU (aka an ATi one or a low end nVidia)

[email protected]|XP-90C|DFi P35-T2RS|G.Skill Pi.Black 4-4-4-12

MSI HD4850@690/1173 Ultra X-Finity Pro 800|Ultra M923

Scythe Yoon Fans|Samsung 2493HM @1920X1200

DraginElite

Update: the EVGA X58 SLI Micro was ordered today :)

will post some nice pix of it once it arrives :KICKASS

DraginElite

Update:

Hello folks

The Micro has arrived

the "Box"

filled with peanuts

my personaly collection of peanuts from receiving parts

the mobo box

the Micro and the Case it is going into note how the case is slightly larger than the box the motherboard came in ... LOL

all the goodies (except for a case badge)

first off i would like to say that when i picked up the I/O Shield i was surprised exactly how heavy it was due to me not knowing it has a metalic foam on the back side of it.

will get some better pics once i get ready to install it in the case for measurement for cutting purposes ... but that wont be until this friday due to me having to buy a new dremel on thursday

sorry this was a small update but heck something is better than nothing :)

DraginElite

TYVM for the complements :)

DraginElite

heres a little more pics

I/O Shield in place

the mount

board test fitted but not bolted down

1mm of clearance between the screw that is holding the SB heatsink on and the motherboard tray.

uh oh ... got a problem ... the foam is preventing the board from fully laying flat and i'm worried about a possibly short in the system.

here's the little bugger

problem solved

well thats all for now

more soon

DraginElite

WE-DeusEx*2001;726493 wrote:
no offense and i know i shouldn't side bust a thread, but this is going to be a disaster.
NP ... everyone has opinions ... i personally dont know if it will be a disaster or not till it's complete :)

Positive thinking brings positive results :)

DraginElite

deathbystupidity;726519 wrote:
i have an old case like that, i was thinking of mounting the psu on top of the case with a costume acrylic in-closer
give it a try and then start a thread if you like so we can all see your work :)

DraginElite

deathbystupidity;726836 wrote:
When i am able to get around to it i sure will, but right now i dont have the money or time to

I will be looking for it :)

al3xman

This looks interesting.

marxviper

why did you change your mind from asus to evga?