Need a 5.25 inch bay 3- or 4-temp thermomoter

5 replies [Last post]
eire1274
eire1274's picture

I'm actually surprised to find that there isn't much out there, at least that I can find, that is a drop-in component. I HAVE found a few fan controllers with temp leads, but as my Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935 has LOTS of fan positions, and I have them all filled, I am controlling fans in banks rather than independently, which means I need heavy power output that these fan controllers can't handle. I already have an NZXT Sentry Mix 2 controller that can handle 30W per channel, so I see no reason to replace it.

What I'm looking for is something like this Scythe product:

pic

But without the fan control knobs or RPM readout.

I've found tons of "build it yourself" products but I am stuck on finding a simple pop-in device; as I am now disabled detailed fine work is rather beyond me... I'm better at cutting myself than plastic or metal. I suppose all I need is 3 positions (CPU temp from under the MB, radiator temp, and GPU temp) but I could find a purpose for a 4th if it was available.

Any help would be welcomed.

Nick McDermott

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996004

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum PRO-LCD-B Media Center Programmable LCD

Looks like it's driver can interface with SpeedFan, so it would be reliant on existing temperature probes on the motherboard itself (not entirely sure if I could read the Corsair H105 temp sensor...). It reviews OK, the software is complex but after years of supporting *Nix servers I doubt it would throw me.

Anybody used this before?

Nick McDermott

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Sorry for the delay. Finally got done with our move, and actually had time to be a PC geek again.

Got this little box from Newegg, but never had time to actually make it work, but as of yesterday it is all connected, SpeedFan is feeding voltages and temperature info and clock speeds to their included software.

Expect a review from me in a week or two. Given how inexpensive this nMediaPC part is, I didn't expect much, but it turned out to have a quite nice display!

Quick phone-photo:

1609710_10203624846319286_1369130880981901066_n.jpg

Nick McDermott

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Review is coming. Had a major power spike (I'm used to being a quarter-mile from the power hub, now we're a mile away from a military base, and OH MY GOD they create a lot of noise in the morning) that cooked off a temporary PSU... that should have been replaced MONTHS ago... and the motherboard. So my server serves no more. And Belkin, ah, Belkin, doesn't want to honor the equipment coverage though I am well under the $15,000 dollar limit and bought the surge suppressor LAST WEEK.

And, of course, it has all of my photo stuff on it.

Waiting for parts and a UPS, and the review will follow soon after.

Nick McDermott

3dGameMan
3dGameMan's picture

Do a video review ;)

Rodney Reynolds,
Register: http://www.3dgameman.com/user/register

eire1274
eire1274's picture

I'm intending to. Give me a little bit, I've opted to completely build a new server (sans drives, as those are in the Mediasonic external bay) as I've been upgrading it for far too long.

Video build log, too, for that.

Nick McDermott