OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

2 replies [Last post]
eire1274
eire1274's picture

First off, yes, I've been gone for a little over a week. Yes, because my power supply blew, thanks to a little storm that pushed through late Oct. 15th or early 16th and popped my power line.

I have a whole-house surge unit provided by the power company, but it failed to trip (or even show a fault). Yet the plug in my office popped, my surge bar blew, and my old power supply fried. But the insurance on the surge guard on the house turned out to be crap as "if the box doesn't show a surge, it happened inside." Blah.

Anyway, my old PSU was an OCZ ModStream 520W (actually the 550W version with the wrong tag and box), and it was already WAY past it's warranty at nearly 6 years old and was due for replacement anyway. However, even though it was PASSIVE PFC, the system properly clamped when the surge happened, and all of my hardware survived, so major kudos to OCZ for that!

The new guy cost me $75 from Newegg, with a $25 rebate, so it is in fact cheaper than the old one cost me.

It is 80-Plus certified, Active PFC, and so quiet I'm worried because the server in the cabinet is louder than the PC at my feet. The modular cabling has come way up with much better sleeves and more secure clips to the PSU than were on the old style. Overall, very clean.

Out of the box (yes, I test my PSUs before I install them) I was reading 12.01v and 12.02v, 5.53v, and 3.31v across the lines with my Fluke multimeter, which are so close as to be just about DEAD ON, and this is FOR A FACT the most accurate PSU I have ever had. After install, the system actually boots faster because the 12V load for the hard disks is on a different line and there is no weak time during spin-up. Once into Windows, I set a computational task (multi-core Prime) with a video benchmark to test voltages under load, and saw nothing worse than a 2/100 dip. WOW!

It looks like OCZ is still up there in their engineering capabilities. Definitely a recommended part if you are looking for a new PSU.

Oh, for those of you out there freaking that low-wattage guy increased his wattage, since the first OCZ I have gone from 2 to 4 hard drives and went from an x1650Pro to an x4670 video card, so my power-to-load was getting rather tight. Not anymore, as now I've got an extra 65W cushion.

Nick McDermott

3dGameMan
3dGameMan's picture

Wow.. that old OCZ 520W PSU served you well :)

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Yep, longest lasting PSU I've ever had. Took an act of God to take it out! :-D

Nick McDermott