Does Canada have antitrust laws?

3 replies [Last post]
Michael McAllister
Offline
Joined: 04/30/2011
Posts: 17

The reason why I ask is because this does not seem like it should be legal.

eire1274
eire1274's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2003
Posts: 1221

3 wireless companies? Sounds like it would be legal in the States under antitrust. 3 companies in competition.

Nick McDermott - 3dGM Admin

Michael McAllister
Offline
Joined: 04/30/2011
Posts: 17

Companies in similar markets are not allowed to inflate prices to dissuade competition (http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/price_fixing). I maybe wrong, but three companies controlling 94% of the market seems to infringe upon this. More here.

eire1274
eire1274's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2003
Posts: 1221

The simple fact that these 3 control 94% of the market indicates that other companies control the remaining 6%. Legally, not much can be done because they are not shutting out competition. And as far as price fixing is, again, that 6% offers a legal escape... don't like the prices, go to an alternative.

Word wise, one can see a legal possibility, but once placed into practice these laws are very difficult to make stick.

Nick McDermott - 3dGM Admin