Xbox 360 HDMI to DVI-D monitor... Where's my audio?

3 replies [Last post]
captainahob

Are there any fixes for this?  My monitor has speakers and has an audio in port.

I know that with certain video cards, you can transport audio over a DVI cable to an HDMI converter and then to an HDTV.

Now, I'm Using my Xbox 360 with my HDMI cable to a single-link DVI-D converter that plugs straight into my monitor.  The video works fine, but where can I get some audio???  I can't plug in the normal plugin to my Xbox and the HDMI because they crowd each other.  Is there ANYTHING I can do to get audio?

Here's a diagram:  Xbox 360 > HDMI Cable > Single-Link DVI-D to HDMI Converter (came with my 8800GT) > DVI-D monitor

Thanks!!!

EDIT: My video card IS one of those that supports audio over DVI and the adapter I'm using came with the video card.  So the adapter definitely should work... right?

XxMorpheusxX
XxMorpheusxX's picture

I dont think its possible to run audio trough an HDMI to DVI cable or converter. From what I know, DVI can only do video and audio if its a direct cable and some times just video.

Most monitors that have a 2.5mm audio jack in the back if it has speakers on it. You might have to get a 2.5mm to Left and Right (Red and White) audio converter. Then hook up the Xbox 360 to that.

I use the same method with my PS3.

Visit my Website: TechUnfolding.com

captainahob

Yes, it does have a 2.5mm audio jack which functions fully, HOWEVER i can't get audio to that port whilst using my HDMI cable.  How can I get audio from my Xbox when my HDMI is in use?  Is there a pin diagram I can see or somthing to just "hotwire" the audio to a 2.5mm jack?

icebreaker
icebreaker's picture

In your set-up as you describe it the audio is lost when reaching the dvi connector. It does not support audio. For use with a HDMI cable you will need a transfer box, a little box that you connect to your xbox 360. From that box you connect a screen and an audio device.

You can also just use an analog cable like thie one: link here And use a plug to convert the rca audio to 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack.