What's the best possible laptop for around $500? would like for it handle some gaming

5 replies [Last post]
matacks
matacks's picture

Hello, I'm trying to help my bro-in-law find a laptop. He plans on getting one for his son soon. He would like for him to have a good laptop/notebook for school work and gaming. His son is a big portal 2 and minecraft fan.

they would like for it to have 17" display, no less than core i5 CPU and ideally a ATI or Nvidia dedicated GPU over somthing like intel HD 3000 graphics.

I've spotted a few machines made my Acer seem to fit this bill and magage to cost only $500. Some of the ones I spotted go slighty over $500 though. I think the Acer laptops I saw could run minecraft easily and do OK with portal 2..

Does anybody know of any other steals out there?

gamer007
gamer007's picture

My gaming laptop: Asus X53SV SX437V Notebook Core i7
cheap and performs ;)

*Patience is a virtue.
*Patience surpasses learning.
*Everything comes to him who waits.

gamer007
gamer007's picture

hope it helps

eire1274
eire1274's picture

The i7 puts this right out of the $500 range. More like $800. Not a bad machine, but hardly a budget system by any means.

I've been doing work with AMD Socket A APU notebooks recently, and you can get some decently powered quad-core units with decent graphics. In March I purchased a system with an A8-3500M, which is a speedy X4 chip (1.5Ghz, 2.4Ghz Turbo) with an integrated HD 6620M. Beefed the memory up to 8Gb, and this is a perfect gaming rig. Runs Valve Source engine-based games with everything maxed out, WoW on Ultra, Diablo III on High, and so on. Granted, we are looking at a 1600x900 display and no multi-display aspects. But I am super pleased.

I'm looking at a Lenovo with an A10-4600M (2.3Ghz Turbo but with the newer chip design) with the HD 7660G GPU. It is marginally faster in CPU processing, but substantially quicker in video. It only has a 15.6" display, but I will be using it primarily as a mobile video/photography machine as well as an art studio, so huge display isn't a major need.

The new Fusion chips from AMD aren't the best of the best, but they offer good graphics, decent computational abilities, and pretty much kick Intel's butt when it comes to power usage. Worth looking into.

Nick McDermott

matacks
matacks's picture

Thanks for the replies

They got the notebook notebook. It isn't really what I would describe a very good gaming notebook but its OK. They got a Dell inspiron with some kind of an i3, intel HD 3000 graphics, 600GB HD, 6GB ram, bluray drive and 15" display.

When the The notebook showed up the first thing they did was to intall minecraft. It runs minecraft OK with a few settings turned down which is cool. :D

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Ouch, burn on the integrated GPU. Sorry, AMD is still winning the game now with the A series. However, it looks well configured, so I hope it serves well.

Nick McDermott