Time to buy a new computer! ($1000 - $1600)

No replies
ladybastilla

Hello! :)

I'm getting ready to buy a new computer. It will be used for MMO gaming, some basic video editing for youtube, surfing the web and ventrilo. My budget is $1000 - $1600. I will be buying my PC from http://www.canadacomputers.com. Basically I want a machine that will run well, be reliable and let me do the stuff that I want.

Final Fantasy XIV Recommended Requirements:

Intel i7 920
4GB of RAM
15GB hard drive space
Nvidia GFX460
DirectSound
DirectX 9.0c

Thought I should list this since the game is a lot more demanding then what most people would generally associate with the term "MMO".

CPU:

Not sure whether I will choose the AMD Phenom II X4 955, Phenom II X4 965 or Phenom II X6 1055T.

Motherboard:

Currently looking at getting one of the 890FX ones. Gigabyte's (the UD5 not UD7) looks interesting. Asus Crosshair IV is another option. There is also one by Biostar on the site I plan to order from but I'm not sure that would be right for me.

RAM:

Not totally sure what type of RAM I will want, although I do realize that it would be dual channel ddr3. If I understand correctly the highest I could go on these boards without overclocking is 1333? Do I want 4gb or 8gb? And if 8gb do I want 2 2x2gb or 1 2x4gb?

Graphics card:

ATI Radeon 5850 or ATI Radeon 5870? I could crossfire two 5830 or 5770 but I have not looked too far into that option so I do not honestly know how reliable crossfire really is.

Power Supply:

I figure I am going to need somewhere between 600W - 750W? Guessing that Corsair, Antec, etc. are good?

Case:

Not totally sure what I should be aiming for on this one. Its nice that there are so many cool looking cases out but I also realize that proper cooling / airflow as well as preferences (I want usb ports and mic & headphones on the front) must also be taken into account.) Also, the size of the case can play a role in determining the size of video cards that will fit, too.

Wireless Card:

I realize that wired is better, but all our wired spaces on our router / modem (not sure what you'd call it) are taken, so my PC has to be wireless. I'm guessing I want a b/g/n? Any brand or model recommendations?

Hard Drive:

I'm currently running a 140gb and I still have 50gb to spare after two years of use. However, I also know that your normal everyday hard drive is not that expensive. Shave off cost to get something smaller like a 500gb or just bite the bullet and get 1TB so it looks like a "professional" (yeah right...) store model?

DVD Burner:

These all seem to be going for around $30. Can anyone tell me what lightscribe and SecurDisc are? Do I want those? Thanks

Operating System:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I don't want 32 do I?

Anyway, thanks so much for your time! :) I should be going to talk to them about building it in mid to late August. Have a great day!