SOLVED - 4870 Revving Fan Speed

9 replies [Last post]
Tiv
Tiv's picture

I have this issue that's been annoying me for a long time. My HIS 4870 1GB while on the desktop and surfing will increase the fan speed if there is too much activity such as scrolling lots of images or dragging things around rapidly.

Here is the thing, if I go into CCC and manually set the fan speed to 38% this fixes the revving fan problem. But I don't want to leave it setup like that because it will get too hot during games and might crash. I don't want to set it at 45% while just at my desktop because the noise is too loud. I tried making a profile, but that idea was pretty worthless to me IMHO as I don't want to think about turning something on or off, needs to be manual during 2d activity and automatic during 3d games.

I sleep fine at night knowing we are banning people who deserve it.  Tivon
Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

Honestly if it is really bugging you-
1.Clean out all the dust first just to see if that fixes it but it probably wont.
2.Add on a spare fan on the side of the computer for like $10-$20 this is almost a guaranteed fix.
Otherwise unless you do indeed make profiles I don't think there is a way around it.

@University rig-Haf 922-i7 920- ASUS GENE MB- 6gb OCZ ddr3 1600-GTS 250- Acer 23'-ocz 700w psu-Altec expressionist bass speakers-LG dvd multi drive-Rosewill media reader

Tiv
Tiv's picture

I have an air compressor so dust is not the problem. I live in Florida so the heat is a factor. The idles temps of this video card are resting at 50 to 54C. The fan does not seem to be revving with the temperatures, just the activity of the desktop or when a game starts.

I have a 120mm Antec fan blowing on the side pointing right at the video card. My case has 144mm fans so airflow is not a problem.

I'm looking into RivaTuner to see if it can manually adjust the speeds matched with temperature rather than activity.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/1

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Holy crap there is a ghost in my computer! lol

With RivaTuner I bring up the low level system tweaks and under the fan tab the slider is wickedly moving back and forth between 35 and 45%!

Hmmm... that's just insane. :(

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

lol-something to look into..

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Anyone else that tries the Rivatuner way will need to look into using the Scheduler if the Threshold Add button is missing.

In the 'scheduler' tab on the main window, you can link to your profiles and assign a threshold value there.

Tiv
Tiv's picture

I copied this from someplace...

Open RivaTuner

1. Go to settings, make sure send to tray on close and run a Windows startup are checked.
2. Under main tab, under driver settings, click customize and then click the picture of the graphics card, system settings.
3. Go to the fan tab, select direct control from the drop down box.
4. Move the slider to whatever percentage you want, then click the save button, and call it whatever you want.
5. Repeat for how many settings you want i.e. 60% for temperature over X degrees, 80% for temperature over X degrees. Click OK on this window.
6. Go to the launcher tab.
7. Click the green plus symbol, select regular item, and press OK.
8. Type a name, select the box associated fan profile, and then choose whichever one you want e.g. name - "fan speed 60%", then select 60% fan profile.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for however many you want.
10. Go to the scheduler tab.
11. Click the plus button.
12. Type a name, and select launch item, then choose the launcher that you want to use.
13. Select run task on hardware monitoring range event.
14. Select core temperature from the drop down menu, and then enter the temperatures that you want to use that speed between e.g. 60% between 70C and 80C.
15. Put 0 in both data sampling period and task freezing period to allow seamless changes between your fan profiles.
16. Click OK.

If it asks you about enabling background hardware monitoring at any point, you have to make sure you enable it. Then all you need to do is play some games to make the card hot, and the fan should come on!

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Jesus.. Mother #$%#@$% my fan profile corrupted or vanished? Sigh..lol

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

Lol-definately a ghost on that computer-Give rivatuner admin abilities just to make sure it is actually saving data-all I can come up with

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Got it working, but still ran into issues with it revving up and down like a wild animal at those critical hot points. So what I did was changed the Monitoring Settings Data Pulling Intervals to 5000 and in each Scheduler option changed the data sampling period and task freezing period to 30000 milliseconds.

Not the most ideal fix, but at least its quite during normal web browsing and only revs up during games. :)