Problems with a Sapphire Non-Refference 5870 1GB

6 replies [Last post]
terorvlad

Hey all. I have some problems with my one year and a half old 5870. since I bought it I have overclocked it from time to time. I think in total, it ran more than 80 Hours with "massive" overclock. When I say massive I mean that I was bumping the core from 850 to 900 and memory from 1200 to 1300. Recently (last few months), the card cannot hold that frequency anymore (900/1300). It usualy gives me artifacts and I have to restart with default clock. I Allways checked the temps of my gpu and I can say that it never reached over 87 *C and that when it didn't had overclock in furmark with the fan on auto. In the last 3 days, while playing stalker I had to reboot 2 times because or trying to get a good overclock once again, but the weired thing is that the monitor went completly black (same as the other 2 times when using OC) when I did not have any overclock applyed. I said "Maybe it's a error" So I went in afterburner and reseted it, but it went black again and the thing is that I was playing minecraft when it did that. I did a little research (first page of google) and someone else had this problem and got rid of it after flashing the bios of the gpu. I also have my i5 overclocked from 2.8 to 3.4 but I don't think that is the problem since it was very stable on 3.5. Oh, btw, when the screen goes black skype keeps working and I hear my friends. And another thing.... GPU-Z validates my card as a 850 core 1200 mem, but furmark now is giving more FPS than when I had overclock and I didn't had the problem, (It is more powerfull on stock that it was on overclock 3 motnths ago)

My questions:1)Will flashing the bios of the card make a difference (heard it is good to do it anyway)?
2)Is is normal for a gpu not to take a overclock it once taked pretty easy even though I did not touch the voltage and it never overheated ?
3)I am also suspecting the PSU but I kind of doubt it has anything to do
4)If I don't restart the pc after getting the black screen or if I get more from now on, will the gpu get damaged or it's like a BSOD that prevents damage ?

Thank you for your time taken

CPU: I5-760 @3.4 Ghz | MoBo: Msi H55M-p31
GPU: 5870 Sapphire | Ram: 8 Gb @1333Mhz
Case&PSU: Antec Sonata 3-500W | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Cooler: Deepcool Icefrige mini FS| Monitor: 23.7' LG Flatron W2443T 1080p LCD

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

1) If the bios is newer than the one you allready have, you should flash. If it's not, there is no need.
2) It is normal. You may have overclocked the card to much (sometimes a huge overclock can decrease performance, cause problems like artifacts or overheating...).
3) If the PSU is in good condition it should not make problems.
4) That has nothing to do with damaging the GPU. It is a symptom of damage.

I. What is the point of overclocking such a system?
II. When did you clean your GPU the last time?
III. Do not overclock too much, it will damage your gpu. Not all cards are great overclockers. Try 875/1250.
IV. Do you use the latest drivers? Drivers make a huge impact on performance, problems and max OC.
V. ...

[center]My YT chanel | My PC | My Laptop | Mob: Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830

terorvlad

I) Just for benchmarks. I don't really need 2 extra fps's but I like comparing benchies with my friends.

II) 4-6 months ago when I changed the thermal paste . But I don't think that is the problem since I get max 83*C with a modyfied auto path that sets fan to 100% when reaching 75*C. Had it for quite some time now and it was running like this even when it wasn't overclocked. The highest "stable" I reached was 910 with 1300 but I only kept it for like 1 hour and went to stock.

IV)When I posted this I had 12.3(not sure if preview or stable). Now I have 12.4 (beta/preview) and I think that is the problem. With 12.2 I never had problems but when I reformated my pc 2-3 weeks ago I installed 12.3. It worked good untill a few days ago. After posting the thread I installed 12.4 and I ran furmark for 10-min at 1080p burn in and it reached 83*C maximum. I left the pc on until a few mins ago and it worked but now I fired up minecraft and the screen went black again, only..... this time I waited to see what happens and after 20 seconds the alt+ctrl+del menu popped up (because I started it when the screen was black) and when I went to desktop.... Catalyst has stopped working. I will try and install 12.3 again and see if it works and if it does not I'll go back to 12.2 or try return the card and see what can be done about it since it is still in warranty (Assuming they don't find out I've overclocked it before).

Thx for the time taken.

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

If you changed your thermal paste, there is no guarantee they will accept your warranty.
They can see you tampered with the card and void warranty.
Removal of the heatsink voids warranty for all manufacturers.

3dGameMan
3dGameMan's picture

Personally, I'd return it still under warranty, because if you start messing with it you could VOID the warranty. If it's not under warranty, than try everything you can to resolve the issue.

Rodney Reynolds,
Register: http://www.3dgameman.com/user/register

Allen86

Try updating the drivers. Download the latest drivers or last known drivers that worked fine from AMD website, uninstall your current drivers. Then use something like driversweeper and boot your PC into safe mode and run driver sweeper to get rid of any AMD graphic driver files left over, restart your PC then install the new drivers.

Also, you might want to try switching the DVI ports or whichever video port your using on the card, they have the possibility to go out and might be whats causing the random black screen issue perhaps. The DVI port I was using on my card randomly went out and wouldn't give me video at all, just switching to the other port worked fine.

If you think its really the card, sapphire should have atleast a 2 year warranty, I think its 3 years. Unless you bought it refurbed/used.

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR2 800Mhz 500GB ATI HD 4850 512mb 22" LCD

terorvlad

I solved it. Updating from 12.3 to 12.4(preview) did it. The proplem I was getting in minecraft was because of java. Furmark still gives overclocked-like performance but I guess that's because of the newer drivers. Thank you all for your help :)