Ivy Bridge-e LGA2011 or Haswell LGA1150?

6 replies [Last post]
Werewolf486

I'm going to be building two new rigs over the next year, both full/extended towers. So far I'm looking at making one using the ASUS Sabertooth (either LGA1155 or LGA2011) and one with the ASUS Rampage Extreme (LGA2011). With the coming of Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E I was wondering if buying Haswell is really worth it? I've read a great many things on Haswell and keep seeing how it's not going to be that big of a performance jump over current CPU's, save for the graphics. What I've read is how Haswell lost lots of things in development to keep costs down, that the main focus was on getting the on-board GPU to blow away AMD and for power savings, so the other things initially promised have been lost or turned down.

It's my understanding that if you run a higher end graphics card (example GTX67-GTX690) that Haswell really isn't going to be a big deal. Also with the change in low voltage (from 0.5v to 0.05v) you can't reuse a perfectly good PSU, you must buy a new PSU designed for the lower voltage and that the molex is totally different. So I have the following questions:

1). Will Ivy Bridge-E make it into LGA1155?

2). Will Ivy Bridge-E in LGA2011 be good enough to keep up with Haswell in processor performance?

3). Will having a Higher end GPU negate Haswells advantage over Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, and Ivy Bridge-E?

4). Do you feel like I do, that Haswell is a CPU for mobile devices and that Sandy and Ivy are a better choice for Desktop?

Thank you!

eire1274
eire1274's picture

IB-E will not be moving to LGA1155. It will be based around the same socket design as the SB-E, LGA2011.

The Haswell chips are a successor to the Ivy Bridge microarchitecture. The only design changes are a a drop to 22nm and a new exit construct allowing 8 execution ports compared to the 6 on Ivy Bridge, so you'll be seeing a 10% increase in performance comparatively at the same clock speed.

Nick McDermott - 3dGM Admin

Werewolf486

Do you really think that 10% is a big enough deal to change PSU, MB, and cpu on a new build from buying the LGA2011 and a CPU? We don't oc anything, but we buy enthusiast stuff for it's durability. My LGA775 Rampage Extreme is running like a champ, my Abit 478 is still running like a boss for an old 478, so we run them till they won't due anything anymore.

Basically I'm torn between LGA2011 and LGA1150 at the moment and want some input. I have already purchased some things for the new build including the Kingwin Mach1 1220watt PSU which will not work with LGA1150 as I understand it.

Input please!

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Anything based around the LGA2011 will have a higher price tag, so I'd imagine that would be where you'd want to make the decision.

An IB-E or SB-E will out-perform the the Haswell initial launch product because of the six-core option that the Extreme line offers, at least in heavy multi-treaded operation, and I would advise that the 83xx AMD FX CPUs be considered as well as a cheaper alternative to the IB-E/SB-E option.

Alternatively, for pure power at the single (or low threaded) operation, the IB would be 90% as fast as the Haswell initial product (I don't know if I said that clearly before) at the same clock. For multi-threaded apps the IB-E or SB-E will dominate over the Haswell due to the extra core count. But you are looking at chips at 4 to 5 times the price.

TeeBlack
TeeBlack's picture

i would pass on Haswell

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Initial Haswell parts are showing that they can't overclock with the same margin the SB or IB options were designed to. Meaning it is still a slower option in terms of power computing.

SkullAbyss

I would go for Ivy Bridge-E. That won't be coming out till Q3 of this year. I would just try to hang on for a while. The selection of motherboards are really good, but I would go with the Sabertooth