Intel i7 or AMD X6 1090T

12 replies [Last post]
bonorojo

Hello, I'm building a new gaming rig and I don't know what is best. An AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, gigabyte ga-890fxa-ud5 motherboard, Sapphire Toxic hd 5850 1gb video card or Intel core i7 870, asus maximus III gene and Palit Sonic gtx 460 1gb. I will be using the system for gaming, rendering, video editing, and more, so if I choose AMD processor, I need an ATI card in order to use multiple video cards and for best performance, but if I choose an Intel processor then either nvidia or ati is ok. So for my needs what is best? Thanks

Omar Arturo Gonzalez Escudero

Razear
Razear's picture

I would personally go with an i7 build.

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

i7 and 460
x6 is not for gaming

@University rig-Haf 922-i7 920- ASUS GENE MB- 6gb OCZ ddr3 1600-GTS 250- Acer 23'-ocz 700w psu-Altec expressionist bass speakers-LG dvd multi drive-Rosewill media reader

McGriff46
McGriff46's picture

@ undeadkingpr, I Don't see how you can say the amd X6 isn't for gaming ????? Ive spent ages looking at building a new PC and in PC Format and PCGamer mags both gave the amd 1090 and 1055 top marks for price/preformance. Rodney himself said that he hasn't alot of experiance with the amd line but from the ppl who HAVE experiance with them, they found them to be MUCH easier to OC and amazing for the price.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
―Yoda

noir2525
noir2525's picture

The reason people say its not for gaming is because it takes a little longer. x4 has 4 separate L2 cache, while a x6 has 6 separate L2 cache. So lets say core 1 need a piece of data located in the L2 cache of a another core to complete the computation. That core has to search in each L2 cache from every core one at a time, thus there is two more extra cores to search in a 6 core vs 4core so it takes longer.

Intel is faster because the core communicate together to find the data and which ever core contains more of it will do the computation.

But u must consider the fact that if u need more core for raw power then the 6 core amd is the way to go.

Qmicra v2F = Core i5 2500k ~ ASUS P8P67-M PRO ~ G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2gb Ripjaw X ~ GIGABYTE GV-R687OC HD6870~ G.skill Phoenix Pro 120gb ~ Creative Titanium HD ~ Killer 2100 NIC ~ Seasonic 650watt gold ~ 3TB storage

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

McGriff46 wrote:@ undeadkingpr, I Don't see how you can say the amd X6 isn't for gaming ????? Ive spent ages looking at building a new PC and in PC Format and PCGamer mags both gave the amd 1090 and 1055 top marks for price/preformance. Rodney himself said that he hasn't alot of experiance with the amd line but from the ppl who HAVE experiance with them, they found them to be MUCH easier to OC and amazing for the price.
I really do not feel like explaining for the 1000000000th time why the x6 1055 is a fail for new builds. Maybe if you already had an AM3 board and gaming was not your primary activity then it would be worth it but as it is the x6 has split cache which hurts gaming 10-15% compared to a 955BE which is $60 cheaper so why pay more to LOSE gaming performance? Browse around the forum about a month back and you will see like 50 threads on this.......

ACIDFAN
ACIDFAN's picture

the intel i7 of course. disable hyperthreading and o.c. it to 4.3+

the x6 would be a poor choice because in every benchmark I've seen the i5 can out perform it.

note that games are not programmed to utilize more then 4 cores. the i7's 8 threads aren't useful which is why many overclockers disable hyperthreading.

note that many games (such as SC2) are only utilizing 2 cores, leaving the i5/i7 and amd x4 at half their potential.

noir2525
noir2525's picture

Nothing wrong with a AMD Phenom x6 it does the job fine. I would chose the X6 over the i7 simply because more cores gives more raw power. Overclocking is always a option to for amd. Most of work for games is ur video card anyway and all u can do is 60fps any way if ur monitor is 60hz refresh rate.

Intel is great with its i7 but no native usb 3.0 and sata 3 on there mobo. there lacking in that area. I tend to not overclock intel cpus because if i kill the cpu or board i would be so upset and be unable to buy another for a while.

U always run a risk of killing the cpu and board when OCing. So i don't OC unless i can buy a replacement if for some reason i kill a component.

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

more cores DOES NOT EQUAL MORE HOREPOWER!
i7 930 DOMINATES a 1090 when both are overclocked.
Also, intel boards are higher quality and less likely to fail than AMD.
There are some x58 boards with usb 3.

noir2525
noir2525's picture

undeadkingpr wrote:more cores DOES NOT EQUAL MORE HOREPOWER!

To say intel board are of higher quality is not true at all it depend on the manufactures. I've had intel boards where sata plugs fall off on a ASUS intel board.

The x58 boards that have usb 3.0 have to use a third party chip and another one for just 2 sata 3. They are not native(running off the intel chipset)

On core hungry apps 6 core is better than 4, thus more power. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T does better in Maya.

cvasquez

Well to me both AMD and i7 are good for gaming.
Since i7 was launched though and I am all for them.
My next build will have an upgraded i7 940 for sure along with an asus MOBO. Can't never go wrong with that setup.

Need For Speed

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

noir2525 wrote:undeadkingpr wrote:more cores DOES NOT EQUAL MORE HOREPOWER!

To say intel board are of higher quality is not true at all it depend on the manufactures. I've had intel boards where sata plugs fall off on a ASUS intel board.

The x58 boards that have usb 3.0 have to use a third party chip and another one for just 2 sata 3. They are not native(running off the intel chipset)

On core hungry apps 6 core is better than 4, thus more power. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T does better in Maya.
Yes you can get some low quality Intel boards but they are rare while the AMD ones are many.
As a consumer, as long as it works I don't care if I need one extra chip on my MB.
An i7 with hyper threading is more powerful than a x6 1090 at Maya when both are overclocked. The i7 uses a lot better architecture while AMD just tried to trump up core count. AMD has not significantly changed architecture since K8-2003.

cvasquez

I dont think we are truly ready for the 6 core just yet.
4 core is doing just fine with 64bit OS.
Unless of course, you bring the price well down enough to be enticing. :D