I really hate the 5970

10 replies [Last post]
Hardware_Hank
Hardware_Hank's picture

so I am on my 3rd 5970, 2nd replacement in less then a year. I get it back, it works. But half my games just lock up because AMD's display driver doesn't like to actually repair itself like Nvidia's.

Of course I cant get a damn refund so im stuck with this POS 700 dollar card that barely works. My GTX 460 may not get the best frame rates but atleast I can play a game for more then 20 minutes :/

FML

Razear
Razear's picture

Sell it quick for what it's worth and maybe get a 6000 series AMD card?

Administrator
Administrator's picture

Well it might be related to the OS or other variables. What is the build specs and software versions?

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Sounds like there could be all sorts of issues. Normally you should not be having any problems. Depending on the operating system you have. Try making a new profile and look for a programs to remove any traces of the old Nvidia card drivers.

I sleep fine at night knowing we are banning people who deserve it.  Tivon
Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

Tiv
Tiv's picture

Sometimes hardware just fails to be compatible, you could sell it and get whatever Nvidia has.

Hardware_Hank
Hardware_Hank's picture

Well the funny thing is my first card I had worked flawless for about 4 months, no display driver crashes or anything.

Its an Asus Crosshair IV Formula 890FX chipset and an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. It has the proper voltages on the rails and its not overclocked.

I removed all the ATI drivers and put fresh ones on and it seems to be working slightly better (I did that before but I double checked this time and sure enough their were some missing) but it still has hiccups in games like WoW. My last one wouldn't even assign drivers too it and they tried to pin it on me like I was lieing lol...

Hardware_Hank
Hardware_Hank's picture

oh forgot to tell you. Windows 7 Ulti- 64 bit. Build 7600.

Using Catalyst 10.10. Tried 10.12 and 10.11 with no luck. I would go back further but I would be missing out on some good performance tweaks.

Hardware_Hank
Hardware_Hank's picture

alright, I think I finally found a perma solution.

I went into afterburner and set the 2D and 3D clocks to be the same with no throttling. That could be a major cause of the crashing IMO

cvasquez

I am glad you mention this cause that was part of my new config but I will dismantle that idea.
The fact makes a lot of noise is one major thing for me.

So I am thinking more about the GTX 580

Need For Speed

Hardware_Hank
Hardware_Hank's picture

yeah, would be a better option. Its not that its a bad card, it just doesn't have stable drivers to support it well. After 10.3 its like they gave up on 5970 owners and ever since I havent been able to enjoy any game without having issues. I am very close to calling the BBB and forcing them to give me a refund because this is getting out of hand.

ripley
ripley's picture

NV 580 imo