I intend to change my Intel Core Duo T2050 notebook CPU for a T2500, how large would the performance increase be?

12 replies [Last post]
marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

Hi,

I have a notebook with this main components:
Intel Core Duo T2050 1600MHz 2MB cache FSB 533MHz
2x 1GB DDR2 667MHz KingMax operating at 533MHz becouse of the CPU
ATI Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB
Hitachi 100GB 5400rpm 16MB S-ATA
14.1" 1280x800 AU Optronics
Windows 7 Proessional 32-bit

I intend to purchase a used Intel Core Duo T2500 (2000MHz 2MB cache FSB 667 MHz). The RAM would work at 667MHz too.
How large would the performance increase be?

I have a far stronger PC (Phenom II 550BE unlocked to B50 X3, 4GB od DDR2 800MHz, Radeon HD 4730, ...) at home, but I use the notebook most of the time (becouse I'm a student and the town I'm living in while I go to the university is about 130Km from my home).

I'm a gamer, playing CoD4:MW online mostly. My framerate goes from 20 to 90 at the lowest details (1280x800 resolution) but the framedrops iritate me the most. Would I get an adequate performance increase that would enable me to play CoD4 with a more stable framerate and more frames per second?

Thanks in advance. With greetings from Croatia,

Ivan Marijanovic

[center]My YT chanel | My PC | My Laptop | Mob: Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830

hnkftalnot

Sorry but no, just a 400 MHz speed increase on the CPU will not justify the purchase of another laptop. It's the same CPU so overclocking would be a more interesting possibility. Also another 133 MHz on the RAM is negligible for gaming. If you can sell your current laptop then MAYBE it's an upgrade, but you will not see a big difference in games between those two anyway.

Try lowering your gaming resolution, that will make a much greater difference.

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

You did not understand, I will buy the CPU only, not an other laptop. The CPU for 200 Kuna (~35$ ~27€).

I did plan to buy a new laptop soon, but the money went to other more important stuff thet was not planed but was of life importance...

The T2500 should be about 30% faster than a T2050.
400 MHz more per core & higher FSB.

Also, overclocking the curent CPU is imposible - the Bios has no options. Insyde H20 :(

noir2525
noir2525's picture

the speed increase is not that significant. Yes the fsb and clock is higher so there is about 5fps increase in games and some cpu intensive apps. U will see 10x speed improvement if swap the hdd for a ssd. ur bottle neck is the graphics, and hdd.

Qmicra v2F = Core i5 2500k ~ ASUS P8P67-M PRO ~ G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2gb Ripjaw X ~ GIGABYTE GV-R687OC HD6870~ G.skill Phoenix Pro 120gb ~ Creative Titanium HD ~ Killer 2100 NIC ~ Seasonic 650watt gold ~ 3TB storage

hnkftalnot

Only changing out the CPU wouldn't change the FSB as far as I know; that's a motherboard thing and can't be controlled by just another CPU. - so no luck on increasing RAM speed there.

But online gaming taxes the CPU as well, and in my perspective $35 isn't that much as a substitute for overclocking ;) lol. It may be worth a shot but again, I wouldn't expect too much from it... and as a student you're probably low on cash so honestly I wouldn't bet on it. By the way I should have asked this first: is your CPU at 100% while gaming?

However I think you'd better save that money for a new laptop with a better GPU like noir said, since the GPU is the most important then it comes to framerates on laptops, and they tend to cheap out on those..

SSD is really nice for overall performance but not specifically gaming framerates.

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

The FSB stands for FRONT SIDE BUS and it's the bus between the CPU and the Northbridge. The T2500 has a FSB of 667 MHz and the memory speed is directly connected to the CPU BUS speed like in a standard desktop PC.

You can't read? I wrote OVERCLOCKING IS IMPOSSIBLE on my notebook.
And yes, the CPU goes to 100% while gaming, even while doing some other stuff I do.

hnkftalnot

I know what FSB stands for, but again, it's a motherboard thing because it indeed controls the speed of all the parts connected to the motherboard. If it's true that a CPU upgrade can increase the whole platform speed then you are right about doing so, I was just giving my doubts on it, hence the "as far as I know"-part, as an invitation for others to give input on the matter - which is what we do on forums.

I do can read, for your information, can you? I wrote "substitute for overclocking" which means a replacement, substitute, for something that overclocking could have done as well: That you buy a higher clocked CPU to replace your similar (but lower clocked) CPU - because you can't overclock. Is this what you mean by that offensive remark?

If your CPU is at 100% and noticeably slowing down the system then you may want to turn off background apps, or if you have already done so (which I suppose), you need a more powerful CPU. Bit still, just 400 MHz (and maybe some MHz's on the RAM) wouldn't make you happy (which you obviously aren't).

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

Hnkftalnot, no hard feelings.

The same notebook model was available with a T2300 (667 MHz FSB) and with a T2050 (533 MHz FSB).
The memory on the one with T2300 worked on 667MHz. The one with T2050 was a lot cheaper so I bought it.

T2050 -> 1600 MHz = 12 (multiplier) x 133Mhz (internal bus)
T2300 -> 1660 MHz = 10 x 166MHz
T2500 -> 2000 MHz = 12 x 166MHz
T2050 is a downclocked T2500 that mostly could not work stable on 1992 MHz.
So it means that a purchase of a T2500 could not be a supstitute to T2050 overclocking.

I would like a Core 2 Duo T7200, it also fits into my laptop, but I can not find a used one to buy.
C2D T7200 has a FSB of 667 MHz too, but has a bit different arhitecture (including more cache, 64bit, ...).

400 MHz increase per core is a good increase. 400/1600 * 100% = 25%.
25% Increase in speed just from a higher clock + ~5% becouse of the higher fsb equals an 30% increase in raw computing power. It will benefit.

The notebook I was looking to buy was a Lenovo Y560 (i5 420, 4GB DDR3, HD 5730) but I had to lower my budget so I looked for something witha a i3 or Athlon II, 4GB DDR3, HD 5470. But then my budget decrease again and I do not want tu buy something weak so I decided to wait.

hnkftalnot

Alright well a little heat brings out the details in a conversation ;).

The only difference between an oc'd T2050 and a higher binned one (T2500) is that the latter can do the higher clocks, guaranteed and error-free, at it's stock voltage. For a laptop it's a better idea to just get the higher binned one since you'll not have the heat issues and of course the hassle with modded biosses (if they even exist for your bios). - that's why I think getting the higher binned one is a substitute; I agree with you that you never know how high you can overclock them, but that's the game of oc'ing versus the certainty of higher binned CPUs.

25% increase on CPU speed would still be nice for cheap. But that's only if the fsb changes with the CPU upgrade (which I think it does, since a locked down bios still reads the info from the components and sets speeds/multi/timings automatically). Downside is that your RAM is still rated for the 133 fsb so the multiplier and/or timings will lower to match the specs. So no benefits there I'm afraid, unless you upgrade the RAM to a 667 set as well.
Worst case scenario is that your board is hardware-locked to 133FSB and thus the T2500 will also run at 1600MHz, but I highly doubt that.

RAM and other components considered, as you say it's probably best to wait till your budget allows a new balanced setup so you can also upgrade the GPU while you're at it.

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

In my first post I stated:
"2x 1GB DDR2 667MHz KingMax operating at 533MHz becouse of the CPU"

My memory modules are KingMax 667 MHz PC-5300. They work @ 533 MHz becouse of the CPU.
If the CPU had a 667 MHz FSB the Memory would work at 667 MHz too.

The board is not hardware locked; with a T2300 CPu the memory works at 667 MHz.

I'll upgrade the CPU now and buy a new laptop if needed when I finish my education and find a job.

How would a Core 2 Duo T5600 (1,83GHz, 2MB L2, 667 MHz FSB) compare to Core Duo T2500?
Is it a better upgrade than a T2500 or are they about equal?

hnkftalnot

marijanovic wrote:In my first post I stated:
"2x 1GB DDR2 667MHz KingMax operating at 533MHz becouse of the CPU"

Woops I missed that.. sorry my bad.

If mobo and RAM are like you say, sounds like the CPU is just bottlenecking the whole system. Let us know how the CPU upgrade works out, if it's noticeable and all.

Can't say anything about the T5600, specs seem about the same but don't know how much better the architectural changes are. - Someone else surely will.

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

The T2500 CPU will be here in a few days.

I do think that T2050 is a bottleneck to the entire system.

I know what I will do tomorrow or the day after tomorrow; a clean Install od Windows XP pro SP3 on the laptop and do the full spectrum of tests (3DMark 2001SE, 3DMark03, 3DMark06, SuperPi 1M, SuperPi 32M, Cinebench and some other benchmarks) and save the scores. Then I will change the CPU and repeat the tests.
I can even post the results here if someone is interested.

My laptop has Windows 7 Professional on it; do you think that it will have better performance on XP?
I haven't been using XP on the laptop since Vista came out. Win7 just looks so damn good...

marijanovic
marijanovic's picture

Here are the results: