HP Pavilion dv7-6165us from QVC

3 replies [Last post]
GraysonPeddie
GraysonPeddie's picture

I don't care for the bonus software, but I've just ordered an HP Pavilion dv7-6165us from QVC. I went with a 5-payment option of $199 after S&H and tax, which is $179.99 before that. Apart from hard drive in my main computer (HTPC) and not having PCI slots, the dv7-6165us outshines my computer with the specifications.

For a Japanese RPG gamer (yes, I'm very passionate about the kind of genre such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy as I'm not that much into Western RPGs), I might be interested in trying out The Lost Remnant and Ssepterra Core, but then those who are very passionate about JRPG/Eastern RPG like me will certainly have trouble finding PC games these days and I've been reading this [url=http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/any-good-jrpgs-for-pc-/1188416?page=2[/url] over at GameTrailers.com. Yeah, there is always emulators but that's about it. :) Update: Breath of Fire IV for the PC? Hmm... Considering that this game is old, it does not look very demanding to me.

Of course, the only thing I'll miss in a laptop is 5.1 surround sound.

so anyway, I think I'll like this new laptop. I just hope my order goes through and I'll be charged a first payment of $200. I'll be going to the Business Enterprise Program and will be living in the dorm in Daytona Beach, FL. It's a 4-month program for the visually impaired as the people who are visually impaired will be getting a state-issued laptop, but for me, I'd rather have my own because I do have such a tendency to install Linux alongside Windows in a state-issued laptop and that gets me in trouble for a Linux nerd like me. :) For a four-month program, it's about owning a snack bar and working with vending machines

HTPC: AMD Athlon X2 4050e CPU with 780G ATX motherboard running Windows 8 DP (4GB) and Ubuntu; Server: AMD AII X2 240e CPU with 880G-based ATX motherboard running Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS (8GB)

2 pairs of Insignia NS-B2111s (front/rear), Pioneer SP-C21 Center Speaker, and 12" Velodyne Sub

Just ordered HP Pavilion dv7-6165us from QVC. Will have it by next Friday.

Zodiark1593
Zodiark1593's picture

Nice buy. I myself have the HP Dv7-4285dx which by far, vastly outshines everything I've ever used, which is actually kinda sad considering the low end Radeon 6370.

It was also $800 when I got it in January, but unfortunately, I was left with a horribly bitter taste when laptops with a Sandy Bridge i5 and a Radeon 6550 GPU came out a month later for the same price. Still, I should be thankful I'm not using Intel GMA anything anymore.

Edit: *Sees Radeon 6750* *Jaw drops*
Did I go laptop shopping at a horrible time. Seems like right after I bought my computer, all these new ones came out rocking higher end GPUs at lower prices.

GraysonPeddie
GraysonPeddie's picture

I've ended up going with Amazon with Amazon Store Card after a long order processing time from QVC. I found myself not trusting them when during Wednesday I tried to edit or cancel my order and I get an error message saying that it can't process my request and wanted me to call a 1-888 number so I used an IP Relay service from Sprint Relay (text-based communication). I did get like 9 rings before the QVC's answering machine takes over and the relay operator hung up for me so I don't waste time typing a message. Later that day, I was able to cancel my order and finally went with Amazon for that.

Well, this is very sad when it comes to recession and economy. When I was a kid/teenager, I used to watch QVC and got myself interested in electronics and nothing else. Then during year 2000 and onward, I stopped watching QVC and sometimes I watch HSN but not anymore as I find myself not watching any basic channels anymore; just locals. I don't want to hurt QVC's/HSN's feelings, but I must say good riddance to both of them. In the positive note, one of my favorite QVC show is "Hi-Tech Toys and Electronics" but they don't show it any longer. :( Oh, well. It was so much fun during that time when they show that big stereo system with floor-standing speakers. But no more cassette decks and 5-disc CD player for me. :) *chuckles*

The reason it piqued my interest for buying a laptop from QVC is because of the monthly payments and I saw a laptop with an AMD C-50 (4 payments of $140) when I recently recorded a technology show from HSN. But with Amazon, all I can do is go through the credit approval without any problems. I have to be careful since it's a credit card and I don't want to get myself in trouble.

HTPC: AMD Athlon X2 4050e CPU with 780G ATX motherboard running Windows 8 DP (4GB) and Ubuntu; Server: AMD AII X2 240e CPU with 880G-based ATX motherboard running Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS (8GB)

2 pairs of Insignia NS-B2111s (front/rear), Pioneer SP-C21 Center Speaker, and 12" Velodyne Sub

GraysonPeddie
GraysonPeddie's picture

As far as it turns out, I did not get the dv7-6165us from Amazon, but instead it's a variant of dv7. I got Blu-Ray, but no switchable graphics (6750). Oh, well. I'm unsure what I'm getting due to incomplete specs. I could sacrifice Blu-Ray just to have a 6750, but nah, it's too much of a hassle to exchange it. :( So now I've got to figure out how to turn the two primary partitions (HP Recovery and HP Tools) into logical partitions since I got a system partition (200MB as I'm unsure what that partition contains) and 551GB partition with Windows and data in it. I really do not want to bother with HP's recovery manager but seeing that it has a recovery partition just baffles me that recovery partition has a size of 15GB. I went "gee-really? why not have two DVD discs instead?"

I've been wanting to install Windows 8 Developer Preview to see what it's like in a laptop and test a "PC Knows Me" feature that has a face recognition feature. Yes, I'm a C# developer (heh heh) and I am interested in trying it out in a laptop.

Also, since having four primary partitions is a problem for me, I don't know how am I going to install Ubuntu in alongside Windows.

So anyway, I have a question for you. I want to backup my entire recovery partition along with HP tools partition to my Debian server via a Samba file server (it's for sharing folders in the Windows environment). Since I have my file server already setup for my Debian server named DEBIANSERVER, what is the proper way of backing up my recovery partitions in GRAYSON-LAPTOP (my laptop's name)?

Update: I've solved my problem by using Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD and backed up all the recovery and HP tools partition to my file server and all is well so I went ahead and install Windows 8 and leave about 470GB of unallocated space left. If I need to get back into Windows 7 from 8, I can just restore the recovery and tools partition and install Windows 7 without all the junk except the required HP software.

I am nit-picky about which software I want and which ones I don't want in a laptop. It's better than just having to uninstall software or use CCleaner for starting afresh.