GTX 580 or wait for Kepler?

16 replies [Last post]
Warmacblu

Hi all, I have a 500 dollar budget for a new GPU and was looking at the GTX 580. I am looking to purchase this card by Christmas time, however, I am having trouble justifying this purchase because of the GTX 6 series which is supposed to be shipping by Q1 of 2012.

I currently own a GTX 275 paired with a 23" monitor running at 1920x1080 and it can run most of my games just fine. I am mainly looking to upgrade just to squeeze out a little more from Skyrim and to future proof my system for a while.

I do believe the GTX 275 will be able to play Skyrim and it will look just fine, so I may be able to hold out for Kepler. I know that waiting for technology is a bad idea because you could be waiting forever but from what I have read so far about Kepler is that it should be leaps and bounds beyond the GTX 5 series and consume less power as well.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. - I haven't really considered any ATi cards (I am a huge nVIDIA fan) but if their HD 7 series comes out at an opportune time, I may end up purchasing from them.

Stuna2150
Stuna2150's picture

yes waiting for tech is bad.. but if you follow a strict plan it can be a good thing.. in otherwords.

if this 6 series is truly going to be worlds apart from the 5 series AND your current card can hold out untill they come out then wait. BUTTTTT once the 6 series comes out dont wait for the 7 series. be strict on your goal. 6 series or 5 series.

This person is in a serious relationship with technology <3

Warmacblu

True, thanks. If the 6 series isn't truly worth it then at least the GTX 580 should have come down in price by then.

Warmacblu

Small update; I will be purchasing a GTX 580 in November / December and will be selling my GTX 275. I have read that Kepler won't be released for a while, especially the higher end cards which may be released as early as Q2 or Q3 2012; I don't believe it is worth it to wait that long.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

Yeah I think that's the best idea. You can't hang on for longer when it comes to tech. On average of every 6 months, every new stuff releases which is quite quick, considering the amount of time you had to save up. Also to avoid stressing out on what to buy, don't take the media or the news too serious personally.

Tivon
Tivon's picture

I don't know these days, it seems more like once a year for new stuff, but maybe speed options and rebadging every 6 months. I'm not sure I'd wait for the new cards.

° º ¤ ø . ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

Warmacblu

Supposedly, according to rumors, nVIDIA will release their entry level Kepler cards (GTX 640, 650, 660?) first early next year. Then they will release their higher end Kepler cards (GTX 670, 680, 690?) probably several months after that. If I were to wait for those cards, I could be waiting a full year; not worth it in my book. Even if the higher end Kepler cards are better than the GTX 580, I am sure the 580 will still be able to hold its own. Apparently, there are some difficulties in the transition to such a small die.

Allen86

Honestly, I'd wait for some new tech to release..GTX 580 is already a year old, I'd buy something to get you by for now and wait for the new cards to release. There's also rumors that the new AMD cards will be releasing on December 6th, 2011.

Yes there's difficulties with both AMD and Nvidia moving to 28nm technology, but they'll get it ironed out. The AMD 7900 series cards will have AMD's new GPGPU architecture, I'm curious to see how that will play out.

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR2 800Mhz 500GB ATI HD 4850 512mb 22" LCD

Warmacblu

I can get a MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning Extreme from a friend for $300, which is a pretty darn good deal so I'm gonna jump on that while I can. Any new tech that comes out won't really matter because the GTX 580 can handle all the games I play maxed out.

ShortAlieN
ShortAlieN's picture

yeah thats a good deal. I would pick that card up and forget the rest for now.

It's not what you do, it's how well you do it.

3dGameMan
3dGameMan's picture

Ahh yes, the buy now or wait question. Here's an easy way to help you decide. If you can't afford to buy what's out there now and then buy the new product when it comes out, wait. But remember, buying new tech when it's just released is gonna cost ya. I'd wait until new tech is aged a little ;)

Rodney Reynolds,
Register: http://www.3dgameman.com/user/register

Warmacblu

Thanks for the reply Rodney. I'm gonna pick up that MSI card from my friend in a few days.

Zodiark1593
Zodiark1593's picture

I'd probably wait for the 580s to come down in price some when or right before the new 600 series releases. If they get low enough, maybe grab a second for SLI, but I can't predict anything that dramatic. Unless for w/e reason, Nvidia makes great changes to their architecture, I don't think the performance difference will be that great.

Warmacblu

Little update actually. My friend is going to let me borrow his MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme until Kepler arrives. If I wish to purchase the GTX 680 then I will or I can just purchase the GTX 580 from my friend for very cheap.

Warmacblu

All good things must come to an end. My friend has a buyer on the GTX 580 for $550 and I am not willing to pay that much right now so he has to take it back. I have a few interested buyers in my GTX 275 and will probably make a sale sooner than later so I need to find a replacement card.

I was initially looking at GTX 560 Ti's but the 1GB of memory is a little bit low for my resolution and the 2GB cards are only 50 dollars less than a nice non-reference GTX 570 so I will begin to look at some of those. I would like this card to hold me until next year after a few iterations of the 28nm cards have made their way to the stores; so about 1 year or so. Who knows, these new cards may not even be worth upgrading from a GTX 570 so I may end up holding onto it longer than a year.

I would appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Thanks.

Zodiark1593
Zodiark1593's picture

Have you thought about AMD cards. I've never heard anything bad about their Radeon 6970, and I think you can get one with 2 GB memory.

Warmacblu

I have considered AMD cards but I would prefer an nVIDIA card. I know I should not be such a fanboy but I have been sporting nVIDIA cards since the late 90's; I am familiar with all the little intricacies and whatnot.

nVIDIA just announced a GTX 560 Ti refresh which may be interesting, but a GTX will likely still be faster and only 25 - 50 dollars more.

The problem I am having is that I don't want to invest too much because I will be purchasing a second or third generation Kepler part but I want to invest enough so that the card will last till then. Another option is to ask for a GPU for the holidays and not have to spend any of my money. In which case I would just ask for the fastest single card available, the GTX 580.