GPU Upgradeing, Suggestions? $200 - $300 budget

15 replies [Last post]
KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Re-using this thread so I don't clutter the forums, unless there is a way for me to delete this one, then, I'll create a new one.

Anyways, about the 20th of this month I am going to replace my current video card, a XFX GTX 260, I'll have about 200 to 300 bucks to spend, though I wanna attempt to stay at about $250 or less so . . .

I'm looking for suggestions
or comments on the video cards I'm looking,

They are....

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

and if its worth the few more bucks....

EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Any suggestion or comments would be very much appreciated

ASRock 990FX Extreme3 CPU: Phenom II X4 945e 3.0 Ram:(2 x 4GB DDR3 ) GPU : HIS 2GB 6950 PSU: Corsair 850w

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Also I should note, this is a desktop pc, the one I'm currently using to post.

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Idling Temps

According To: SpeedFan 4.35

CPU: Phenom II X4 945e - - - 33c

According to: PC Wizard 2010

CPU: Phenom II X4 945e - - - 32.5c

GPU: XFX black edition GTX 260 - - - 46c

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Under load - for about 6 minutes

about 55%

CPU: 42c

GPU: 50c - - - Fan Speed at 80%

Also I guess I could add, the game does not lag or seem effected by anything, the computer just turns off, there are no noticeable signs that the computer is about to turn off.

chrisrice93

You shouldn't wait until you smell something burning to realize that it's overheating, there are programs like hwmonitor that will display all of your vital temperatures. I recommend installing that and checking the temps to make sure nothing is getting too hot. Youtube videos still requires your gpu so don't rule out the graphics card just yet, in fact that seems to be the most likely to me. No blue screens or do you have any error/crash reports available?

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

chrisrice93 wrote:You shouldn't wait until you smell something burning to realize that it's overheating, there are programs like hwmonitor that will display all of your vital temperatures. I recommend installing that and checking the temps to make sure nothing is getting too hot. Youtube videos still requires your gpu so don't rule out the graphics card just yet, in fact that seems to be the most likely to me. No blue screens or do you have any error/crash reports available?

Thankfully no blue screens and I have not gotten any crash reports, the computer asks if it should go into safe mode when I turn it back on but that's the closes thing to the computer realizing it turned off suddenly.

and I don't plan to wait until I smell something burning, I just don't have the money to be wrong about what part needs to be replace, I'm hoping its a cheap part that needs to be replaced heh.

chrisrice93

I'm still going with the gpu but I can't really say for sure without any blue screen error codes, those usually help point out the problem pretty well. Do you have a spare graphics card you could try or onboard video?

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Well if its not throwing blue screens or any kind of error, other then, when I start up the computer again, it gives the screen like if you tripped the power, asking if something happen, I can't remember what it actually said cause I know its a normal screen you can get, even if you, you know, hold down the power button and shut your computer off that way, the computer more or less asks you if you know why the power was cut off suddenly,

Anyways, if its not really throwing any errors or blue screens, wouldn't you think its something more like before it can tell if it is this or that, before it even gets the power to detect what might be going bad or that any thing is going bad at all,

but you could be right, I say its the Power supply but thanks for the help and info, I guess I'll just have to test it for the next few days or if any one else wants to throw their two cents into the subject, that'd be great.

Oh and another reason why I think it might be the power supply, is because, right after it shuts down and I try turning it back on, the computer does not respond what so ever, no beeps, no lights no sounds, fans don't turn on, nothing, for the first few seconds, then suddenly it responds, if it was the video card, wouldn't the computer turn on the first attempt to turn it back on, then again, I've never tried turning my computer off then a second later try and turn it back on, so I don't know of their is a normal few seconds after turning off your computer that your power button will not respond or your computer won't respond to the power button, I don't know, thinking out loud in the form of text heh.

but again, thanks for your input.

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

I am starting to think its my video card too now, that its over heating and not offering any kind of crash report when it shuts the system down, cause gone a day with out playing the game it normally shuts the system down on and it has yet to do shutdown, though I had played the game not a lot but still a good amount before it started to cause the video card to over heat or shut down.

The reason why I didn't think it was the video card over heating, is because the video card never hit 60c while playing the game, at least that's what PC Wizard and FanSpeed said, the video card must be much hotter then what those two programs say, cause I have had that video card hit 70c and not cause the system to shutdown so that's something that also made me think it was not over heating but I've spent today not playing the game and it has yet to shutdown on me.

Though its odd that the computer decided to shutdown once when I was using just youtube, so that's still a wild card, not sure why it shutdown then but I'm still leaning towards my video card now at least, that's the first thing I plan to replace, been meaning to upgrade it.

Tivon
Tivon's picture

Something in the software is probably shutting it down. Check on Task Scheduler to view/remove/disable anything that might be shutting it down. If there was a windows update it might shut it down. You might need to run some sort of command line trace to see what shut down the computer.. I forget how that is done right this minute, falls in the same category as why windows will wake a computer out of standby. Anyway.. brb

° º ¤ ø . ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Well I am now sure that its my video card over heating, I got a hold of EVGA's Precision program, even though my current over heating video card is a XFX, its more simple to use to control the fan speed automatically with the program and that seemed to work / Help, it still over heated once sense I started to use the program so I just bumped up the fan settings, before the video card would leave the fan speed at 14% and I'm not even sure if Nvidia's Ntune would even touch the fan speed the hotter the card got, I don't know but bumping up the fan speed settings in EVGA's Precision program seems to of worked, though not sure,

In any case, I am attempting to get a replacement for my video card anyways and trying to find a way to get a better computer case with better cable management but living paycheck to paycheck kind of sucks when things like this happens, anyways, thanks all for the info and help!

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Well I think my video card just kicked the bucket, I'm on my motherboards onboard video card now, a Radeon HD 4200* subs a little * My problem is now is that I can't seem to find the drivers for a HD 4200, will the next drivers up work or what should I do, I am still searching but what do you guys think I should do / can you help me find the right drivers?

Update: I found the drivers for my onboard video card, heh didn't help much, can't really do anything but surf the web, can't play any of the games I normally do, in about two weeks I'll be able to buy a replacement then I'll try to replace my computer case to one that has much better air flow/room to put cables...

sherretz
sherretz's picture

The current Catalyst drivers should work, or your mobo's manufacturer should have drivers to download; or via Windows Update.

Well, it's good to hear you narrowed it down. I would have pointed to the power supply myself, but if bumping up the fan speed on the vidcard fixed the problem then you found what was going on. Good luck!

E8400 Stock; CoolerMaster H50; Asus P5Q Deluxe; G. Skill 2*2GB + 2*1GB PC2 1066; Sapphire 4850; WD 6400AAKS; Win 7 Pro; PCP&C Silencer 750W; Antec 300

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

Yeah, I think I have every thing figured out, in about two weeks I'll be able to spend something like $200 to $300 on a new video card then after that I'll try and get a new case with better air flow / cable management, I regret it so much, getting the case I am currently using.

If any one has any suggestions of a video card that's in the price range of $200 to $300 please feel free to post, I'm currently looking at ....

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

XFX HD695XZDDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

and

PNY VCGGTX560TXPB-OC2-S GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Leaning towards EVGA sense people seem to have less issues with EVGA cards then any other brand, Though I'm sure there are those that would strongly disagree.

sherretz
sherretz's picture

I'm pretty sure EVGA has a lifetime warranty on their cards and a "trade-up" program too. You may have to do some digging on that.

KoutaFG
KoutaFG's picture

I think I'll be going for the XFX HD695XZDDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity