Is this a good gaming pc?

24 replies [Last post]
Mgut
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2010
Posts: 40

i choosen all the components and it costs about 7200 Norwegian krone adn here are all the parts i gonne buy:

Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 4GB (RAM)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 (harddrive)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (prossecor)
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H, Socket-AM3 (motherboard)
Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223C (cd-room)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 (graphic card)
Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU (power supply)
Thermaltake Element G Midi Tower

and srry my writing is a little bit bad, btw i am from Norway xD

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

Hi!

I look the components what you have like to buy.

- I recommend to take Samsung Spinpoin F3 hardrive. Its little bit faster than WD drive.
- Dont take HD5830. If you like Ati, I propose that you choose HD5770 or HD5850. But If you want nearly HD5850 horse powers you can take Nvidia GTX460 1GB model. Like Gainward GeForce GTX 460 Goes Like Hell. It is pre-Overclocked.

Powersupply is little bit too big. Corsair is allways a good choice but there are many others too.

Like
-Cougar
-Chieftec
-Enermax
-Seasonic
etc.

Dont buy these PSUs

- Xilence
- LC-Power
- Tagan
- Modecom
- Deer
- CP4
- Macron
- EuroCASE
- Maxpower
- Sweex
- Ezcool
- Gembird

some of these are even dangerous. overloaded, they may even explode.

I recommend you to choise powersupply between 500-600 watts. That is more than enough ever hardcore pc. Like AMD P II 1090T + HD5870 CF.

And remember, one big (A) +12V rail is better than many small rails.

I hope this helps you.

Sincerely,
Lerppu86

Asus Maximus IV Extreme // Intel 2500K@2600K + NH-D14 // Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600 // Asus GeForce GTX580 SLI // Corsair HX850 // Corsair Graphite 600T // and more... *Enthusiast Overclocker & Gamer*

Mgut
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2010
Posts: 40

this was a big help, thanks you very very much.

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

Good to hear.

Kingston DDR3 HyperX memory is very good choice. But if you want a save money u can choise between these memorys.

A-Data DDR3 2+2GB 1600 CL9 (XPG series)
A-Data DDR3 2x2GB, 2000MHz, CL9
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 4GB

4GB's is enough to many users. Choice the cheapest. 1600 speed is also a good choise.

If your budjet stretches little bit choise 870G chipset mobo. Like Asus M4A87TD/USB3 (about 130e = 816,38,-kr)

then you're prepared for new SATA 6Bit/s and USB3 features.

AsRock 890GX Extreme3 is even better and very well priced.
(about 122e= 966,97,-kr)

I live in Finland so i think prices in euros :D

is it 1 Euro, about 7,926,- kr? is it "kr" or what it the "shorthand"

You can also tell your budget so that I can find you the best parts

Mgut
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2010
Posts: 40

thanks for the help, 1euro today is about 7.929 kr, and i want a pc that costs 1000 euro

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

Ok so this is what i think.

U have to check prices in your local store.
999,80€ is ~7 924kr.

This is a little review about Palit GTX460 Sonic Platium. Palit and Gainward is same company and those card are identical. This shows you the real performance!
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

Fractal is very good and silent case if u like that kind of case. CPU cooler is much more better that AMDs orginaly cooler. U can OC your CPU 4GHz easily with that cooler and it still be very silent.

If u think that extra cooler is not your thing u can take it away from the basket and change better motherboard
like this
http://www.jimmspc-store.fi/tuote/890GX-EXTREME3?t=false

Mgut
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2010
Posts: 40

well okey it is good, but i have to think about the Shipping expences, it is 450kr so it is not that cheap, but htis desktop was pretty good, and since i have the 750w power supply is for uppgrading my desktop after a few years

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

yeah thats true. u dont need new PSU. if u are allready own 700W psu

well u dont have to buy noctua aftermarket cooler. then the shippings will not make the bromlem?

Mugen 2 is also good aftermarket cooler but is littlebit cheaper

Mgut
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2010
Posts: 40

i dont have the 750w power supply, but gonna buy it so i can upgrade my pc, after a few years xD

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

That is all well and good but he said GAMING pc so he is much better off with an AMD 955BE

@University rig-Haf 922-i7 920- ASUS GENE MB- 6gb OCZ ddr3 1600-GTS 250- Acer 23'-ocz 700w psu-Altec expressionist bass speakers-LG dvd multi drive-Rosewill media reader

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

Well. I dont recommend you to buy too big powersupply.

Because the component manufacturing technique decreases, parts doesnt need so much energy to run etc.

For example HD4000 series need more power than HD5000 series.

Trubitar in youtube shows how much 2 CPU system, with GTX480 4 way SLI takes. :D consumption meter shows about 1,5kW in Full load :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/trubritar#p/u/9/9508jcoxFQI

you can see in your own eyes how much more GTX series need power. Its more than interesting, Ati wins the battle :D

My friend have Intel 980X extreme and HD5870 CF and system need just a little over 500W in max load. So i dont know why the f*ck people buy too big psu?

I have Corsair HX850 because i have ordered another HD5970. My system takes now about 450W, when CPU is 4GHz 100% LOAD.(prime95+furmar)

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

undeadkingpr wrote:That is all well and good but he said GAMING pc so he is much better off with an AMD 955BE

I do not quite understand, you mean x4 955BE is better than x6 1055T? And why may i ask?

6 core helps you with everyday tasks. And 1055T is more that easy to OC up to 4GHz.

No one is so stupid to think that, turn single core to duall core was fail? why 4 core -> 6 core is fail?

Its true, that today games doesnt need more that 2 fast cores to play games with good FPS. But when price difference is so small, why we all should take 6cores?

dustyschaffner
dustyschaffner's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/02/2009
Posts: 334

games these days are only 3-4 core optimized meaning thats how many cores they use, an extra 2 cores for gaming is not much use when your not using them. sure it will help in multitasking and the x6's have a core speed function that teeters the core speeds to run like an overclocked x3 but its still not quite as good as an x4

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

yeah i agree that.

Even those CPUs run games with same frame rates we must look forward in time, so I would take this itself if I were you, although it is not yet the full benefits of achieving... However, the price difference is so small.

please excuse for my bad English. It has been too long since I last wrote in English

Mgut
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2010
Posts: 40

so it would be best if i have a 600w power supply for this setup?

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

well its more than enough ;)

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

Problem with an x6 is that it has the same amount of L3 cache as an x4 but distributed up in 6 cores. Then, when a game only uses 2,3,4 cores it does not have the l3 cache an x4 provides. Thus, the x6 lags behind an x4 in almost every game by up to 15fps. This is no small number and is not worth the extra $ for.

Lerppu86
Lerppu86's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2010
Posts: 25

well... 15fps is not much if game rus over 100fps. If game runs like 30fps then 15fps difference comes matter.

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

Lerppu86 wrote:well... 15fps is not much if game rus over 100fps. If game runs like 30fps then 15fps difference comes matter.
i.e if you have multiple monitors or turn the settings up....
point is it decreases performance....

ATX
ATX's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/29/2010
Posts: 139

undeadkingpr wrote:Problem with an x6 is that it has the same amount of L3 cache as an x4 but distributed up in 6 cores. Then, when a game only uses 2,3,4 cores it does not have the l3 cache an x4 provides. Thus, the x6 lags behind an x4 in almost every game by up to 15fps. This is no small number and is not worth the extra $ for.
Can you provide me the link of where you've got this information from?

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

ATX wrote:undeadkingpr wrote:Problem with an x6 is that it has the same amount of L3 cache as an x4 but distributed up in 6 cores. Then, when a game only uses 2,3,4 cores it does not have the l3 cache an x4 provides. Thus, the x6 lags behind an x4 in almost every game by up to 15fps. This is no small number and is not worth the extra $ for.
Can you provide me the link of where you've got this information from?
"The X6 1090T BE has the same 6MB of shared Level 3 cache as the X4 965 BE, a significant 33 per cent reduction per core."
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/27/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition/2
2nd paragraph from the bottom

ATX
ATX's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/29/2010
Posts: 139

That I already knew it, what I wanted to know is where you've taken this information from:
undeadkingpr wrote:Thus, the x6 lags behind an x4 in almost every game by up to 15fps.

From the review you sent me, most of the time it's like a 3 to 7 fps increase for the 965 but then again, the 965 is clocked slightly higher.

The review doesn't give a good perspective of the product; the reviewer makes other CPUs look better by overclocking them higher than the 1090T (Core i7 @ 4.3GHz VS 1090T @ 3.8GHz) and is constantly bashing against AMD's architecture. Also he said
Quote:The only exception to this was our Cinebench and WPrime tests, indicating that the X6 1090T BE may be worth considering for a low cost graphics workstation. However, even then, the i7-930 retook pole position when both CPUs were overclocked to their air-cooled maximum frequency. Is that guy a complete noob? AMD's Thubans overclock easily to 4 even 4.2GHz on air! Perhaps he got a bad sample but I personally think he cheated.

Bit-tech.net are doing negatively biased reviews when reviewing AMD CPUs. I give the site a HUGE thumb down for this very bad review. Although, the 1090T is not worth it IMO. Why? Simply because of its cost. The unlocked multiplier doesn't justify the cost when compared to Intel's great X58 platform. However, the 1055T is definitely worth it for users who want to future-proof their purchase and a CPU that delivers great bang for the buck performance.

I'll end this comment by including this little review of my own:
Bit-tech.net makes bad reviews :)

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

ATX wrote:That I already knew it, what I wanted to know is where you've taken this information from:
undeadkingpr wrote:Thus, the x6 lags behind an x4 in almost every game by up to 15fps.

From the review you sent me, most of the time it's like a 3 to 7 fps increase for the 965 but then again, the 965 is clocked slightly higher.

The review doesn't give a good perspective of the product; the reviewer makes other CPUs look better by overclocking them higher than the 1090T (Core i7 @ 4.3GHz VS 1090T @ 3.8GHz) and is constantly bashing against AMD's architecture. Also he said
Quote:The only exception to this was our Cinebench and WPrime tests, indicating that the X6 1090T BE may be worth considering for a low cost graphics workstation. However, even then, the i7-930 retook pole position when both CPUs were overclocked to their air-cooled maximum frequency. Is that guy a complete noob? AMD's Thubans overclock easily to 4 even 4.2GHz on air! Perhaps he got a bad sample but I personally think he cheated.

Bit-tech.net are doing negatively biased reviews when reviewing AMD CPUs. I give the site get a HUGE thumb down for this very bad review. Although, the 1090T is not worth it IMO. Why? Simply because of its cost. The unlocked multiplier doesn't justify the cost when compared to Intel's great X58 platform. However, the 1055T is definitely worth it for users who want to future-proof their purchase and a CPU that delivers great bang for the buck performance.

I'll end this comment by including this little review of my own:
Bit-tech.net makes bad reviews :)
1. Bit-tech DOES NOT overclock CPU's to their max limit. What they do is a 24/7 stable overclock able to run prime 95 for a week without crashing. Yes, the 1090 can reach 4.2 but then the i7 930 can reach 4.5,4.7 completely nullifying your argument.
2. I said that the x6 can lag behind the x4 by UP TO 15fps. This does not mean AVERAGE-please read my post before trolling. Point is, READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD-IS THIS A GOOD GAMING PC. Now let's focus on the word GAMING.In gaming most people want to crank up the settings as high as possible on as many monitors as possible. Just look at Rodney, he has 3 30 inch monitors at very high res. So, in order for him to achieve the highest fps on these beasts he wants the most bang/buck out of his graphics card(s). Now why would he spend $50 more on his cpu to get LESS fps? Perhaps, if the title of the thread was, "is this a good RENDERING pc?" then the x6 might be justified but that is not the case.
3. Where do YOU get off trying to discredit the reviewer and bit-tech in general? Bit-tech and it's sister magazine are multi-million dollar enterprises with thousands of readers and are widely accredited as some of the most balanced reviewers on the web. You, on the other hand are a no-name internet persona. You have provided NO sources besides yourself to back up your argument, it is not your sole job to write quality tech reviews, and you do not have thousands of readers. The reason the reviewer bashes AMD's architecture is that IT HAS NOT BEEN SERIOUSLY UPDATED IN 7 YEARS and this reflects in the market-share. In 2005 AMD had HALF the market. In 2007 they were down to 15. Then in 2009-10 they rose to 20% because AMD's NOTEBOOK division has done very well in large part due to power efficient chips. AMD is floundering in the desktop market and it really is sad, The only home-run they've had is the Phenom IIx4 series but now that is 2 years ago.
BIT-TECH.net DOES NOT MAKE BAD REVIEWS NOR HAVE YOU PUT FORTH ANY EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY ^_^

ATX
ATX's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/29/2010
Posts: 139

LOL. My only point is: AMD 6-core CPUs are not bad CPUs. Period.

EDIT: Oh and btw, if you are gaming on a budget you don't have the money for 3 30" monitors IMO. If I had the money I would have an i7, but considering the budget I have, I consider my 1055T a good compromise.

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

ATX wrote:LOL. My only point is: AMD 6-core CPUs are not bad CPUs. Period.

EDIT: Oh and btw, if you are gaming on a budget you don't have the money for 3 30" monitors IMO. If I had the money I would have an i7, but considering the budget I have, I consider my 1055T a good compromise.
AMD 6-CORE CPU'S ARE BAD FOR GAMING COMPARED TO THE CHEAPER PHENOM IIX4 SERIES! THAT IS MY ENTIRE POINT!
The 3 30 inch monitors are AN EXAMPLE. The theory works just as well with one monitor.You would have been better off either upgrading to an i7 or getting an x4 unless you do a bunch of rendering.