EVGA 8800GTS 640mb failure?

26 replies [Last post]
Silent Gary

Recently, my EVGA 8800GTS 640MB version started to act up after I logged into windows. Every 10-20 seconds, a few select colors would change. For example, If I opened "My computer", after 10 seconds, the border of the window would turn green, then red. It would stay like this for about another 60 seconds, and than my computer would freeze.

I had noticed, that if I wait at the login screen, the problem will not persist.

I at first thought this was a driver issue. Perhaps windows installed a "new" driver and I might have conflicting drivers. I un-installed the drivers for the 8800GTS, and reinstalled them. No luck, the same problem persists.

I was fairly certain that this was not a hardware issue, So I went ahead and wiped my hard drive, and reinstalled windows 7. During the entire installation process, the videocard did not act up.

After that, every time I would attempt to login to my account, I would immediately get a blue screen, every time.

At this point, I took out the 8800GTS, and replaced it with an old 7200GS I had laying around. I took apart the 8800GTS, and removed all the globs of thermal compound and thermal pads, and ordered some new thermal compound that I will put on. I am still not sure what exactly is going on, but I'm sure one of you guys will know.
Thanks.

-Gary

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

I'm afraid the card is failing since you have that green and red boarders. Did you notice any artifacts before those things happened?

Silent Gary

No. All this just started to happen out of the blue.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

Well, run a game and see if there're any problems presisting.

omally
omally's picture

yeah Ratchet is right sounds like your card is seeing the end of its days if i were you i would keep it some where like as a history piece

if its a problem you can always upgrade it to a 9800 gtx+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133330

fizzylumi

Go to display Administrative Tools folder in the Start menu and select (Memory Diagnostic), It's automated and you don't have to do anyting, just follow the instructions and read the report!

AFR – Alternate Frame Rendering/Annualized Failure Rate!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_Frame_Rendering

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

^^That has got nothing to do with the card. And for the replacement, don't get another DX10 card. Look for the DX11 cards that you want, depending on how much money you have.

omally
omally's picture

Ratchet wrote:^^That has got nothing to do with the card. And for the replacement, don't get another DX10 card. Look for the DX11 cards that you want, depending on how much money you have.

i am taking in account that i dont know how much watts he got what is the price point so better safe then sorry so i suggested the 9800 better then this gtx 460 (price wise)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130563

i also did not want to suggest a half ass gt 240

and you really dont need x11 you only will see the difference if it is side by side not alota big changes
really all i see is more bloom and edges around the gas mask are more smooth

Silent Gary

Um. Heres the thing though. The card starts up, and is fine in Safe Mode. I also got a "Windows has recovered from an Unexpected shutdown, So here is the error report.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800551E010
BCP2: FFFFF88003B116C0
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\091110-41059-01.dmp
C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-54007-0.sysdata.xml

omally
omally's picture

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

3. If there are any available updates, click the link in the box under Windows Update to see more information about each update. Each type of update might include drivers.

4. On the Select the updates you want to install page, look for updates for your hardware devices, select the check box for each driver that you want to install, and then click OK. There might not be any driver updates available.

5. On the Windows Update page, click Install updates If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-to-do-when-a-device-isnt-installed-properly

If you cannot find the drivers, then go to manufacturer’s website download the latest drivers and install.

For more information on the issue, refer this link:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/6940c7ff-64e7-48fd-8101-239abd5678a0

http://tinyurl.com/2efsasd

fizzylumi

quick fix

Download:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

1. Install CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner
3. Click "Registry" (topp left)
4. Click "Scan for Issues" (bottom left)
5. Click "Fix selected issues" (bottom rigth)
6. Backup changes to registry (Click Yes)
7. Click "Fix All Selected Issues"
8. Click "Close"
9. Close CCleaner

Note: it might be a bad video card.

Silent Gary

I checked for new drivers, and my current one is up to date. I have already tried the CCleaner, No dice. Here is a video of the shit that is going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1P418g-X80

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

By the looks of it, your card is near-history. Have you checked the temperature of the card? If so, what temp is it?

Silent Gary

Yes. About 2 weeks ago, Temperatures would reach 68C. I took apart the card, and replaced the globs of stock thermal compound, with some arctic silver 5. I did this correctly, and I did not miss any parts, nor did any of it got onto the PCB board. This fixed the problem, dropping the idle temp to around 54C. It worked fine, up until this problem, 1 week later.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

What about the thermal tape? Did you placed them correctly?

omally
omally's picture

new 400 series card came out the gts 450 maybe you want to look into that when you get the chance

http://www.evga.com/articles/00577/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gts+450+&x=0&y=0

prices did not come out yet so just wait abit longer you only need one 6pin power connector

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture

Ya 450 MIGHT be a good option for you but make sure to get a stock one then overclock it.
It performs roughly the same as a 5770.

@University rig-Haf 922-i7 920- ASUS GENE MB- 6gb OCZ ddr3 1600-GTS 250- Acer 23'-ocz 700w psu-Altec expressionist bass speakers-LG dvd multi drive-Rosewill media reader

Silent Gary

Guy, I did not make this post to be sold a new video card. If I am going to buy a new card, and I need help choosing one, I will make a new post. Thank you.

Ratchet, I removed the stock thermal tape, and replaced it with arctic silver 5 thermal compound. It was correctly applied, and was working fine for about a week afterwards.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

Uh oh, I think I've found the real problem.

Never replace the tape with coumpound. The gap between the memory chip and the cooler's block are like about 5mm apart. That's the reason why EVGA and other manufacters used thermal tape not only to conduct heat off multiple chips and even mosfets, but to close the gap between the cooler and the components.

So if you can save your card, take it apart again and replace the thermal compound with thermal tapes and place them wherever it was normally, except the GPU of course.

Silent Gary

I don't think that applies to the EVGA 8800GTS. I originally applied thermal compound only the chip tops, and than attached the heatsink. After I opened it up, there is residue of thermal compound on the heatsink therefore they they are, in fact, touching.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

Well still, you shouldn't throw the tapes away. They could have different thermal conductivity properties than compound. I once removed the cooler off my old 3850 and when I put it back on, then only thing I've removed and replaced is the compound off the GPU, of course. The original tape on the memory and mosfet chips were still in use and I didn't have any overheating and artifact issues.

And the reason why they call it thermal tape is because it's like thermal compound, but both sides are sticky so the heatsink and the component(s) could accurately dissapate heat by closing up the gaps between the 2. You only use thermal compound if a component has a heatspreader like the CPU for example or GPUs because they take up the workload the most than any other components.

Silent Gary

Yeah, so I think this card is FUBAR'ed. Thanks for your help.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

No probs. Good luck finding another card or so.

omally
omally's picture

gts 450 like i said min power req is 400w

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

^^^Don't offer him anything yet. He'll make his own decision as to which card to go with.

Silent Gary

Yeah I decided to go with the EVGA GT240 Superclocked. I don't want to be buying a pretty videocard just yet, because my CPU will more than likely bottleneck the performance. Afterwards, I can use the GT240 as a dedicated PhysX card.

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

Yeah, that'll suit you well for a while.