core i7 950 overheating please help

9 replies [Last post]
kissdesign

My core i7 freezes when unzipping large files
Hello there

Everything was running smooth until today.I was unzipping large file and for first time ever my computer crashed when i restarted it gave me " CPU over temperature error".I am a bit shocked.

Installed Real Temp and getting 51C ish on idle but as soon as i hit the sensor test its goes over 90.I tried samaller files the temp went upto 70C.Never happened to me before.

I check the stock intel cooler i think i might need thermal paste but still it was fine all this time. For my PC specs

Core i7 950 (stock)
Asus P6x58D Premium
12GB corsair DDR3 (1600mhz)
primary HDD Velociraptor
secondary Western digital IT caviar
ATI HD 4650 (i know its sucks but i am not into games)
550W cooler master PSU (this concerns me as well is this enough if i put Corsair Hydro H70 cooler thingy?)
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate

What should i do i am really depressed :( thanks in advance for the help

Thanks Rodney looking farward to this

Problem Solved: Got Arctic Silver 5 and its beautiful now Corsair H70 is gonna come tomorrow.

Thanks anyways

Please Help

Razear
Razear's picture

What is your ambient temp? If it's high you might want to consider getting an aftermarket cooler.

Also, 550W will suffice for your rig, you don't have a beefy video card so it's fine.

Tivon
Tivon's picture

Problem Solved: Got Arctic Silver 5 and its beautiful now Corsair H70 is gonna come tomorrow.

That's good to hear, nothing a little silver paste and water cooling can't fix. :)

° º ¤ ø . ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

Don't test my skills, I was trained by myself! Check out my Gaming Videos!

kissdesign

Cheers Tivon

I might need help with the Corsair H70 i heard its a b#### to install.

Tivon
Tivon's picture

Hardware_Hank
Hardware_Hank's picture

when I got my Corsair H50, I was confused about how the retention plate was sappose to be applied xD. I had an Asus board so it used the Stack Cool 2 retention plate and I wanted to keep it instead of this cheap plastic mount it came with.

Guess you are stuck with the cheap plastic mount.

I also have a story for you guys based on a similar incident that happened to me a few years back. I upgrade my rig from an AMD Athlon 64 2300+ to an AMD Phenom 64 X4 9950 BE and also bought this Zalman aftermarket cooler. Well... It was really awful trying to install it as it did not want to latch into place so I kept sliding it around which distributed the thermal compound unevenly and when I finally got it latched, I turn it on and check my temps. It was idling at 107c on the desktop haha, I was surprised it even booted with such a high temp.

So reading this thread made me think of that incident about 3 years ago haha

kissdesign

Thanks alot Tivon

kissdesign

Installed the H70 and i love it.In terms of the thermal paste do i have to replace it after X amount of time.

Tivon
Tivon's picture

Does it come with a thermal grease/paste layer? I'm sure it will last a very long time. Years maybe.. but check it before the warranty ends. :)

PPSKevin

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, best cpu cooler out there for 30 bucks man =)