Burnt PCB on the STR-K1600

11 replies [Last post]
Nightingale
Nightingale's picture

Well bugger me this is bad.

I had a candle on top of my amplifier. (yeh i know sounds stupid) but i knew it wasn't gonna melt til i got the bottom of the candle cleaned and then it melted through the side and it ran all through the amp to the bottom vents and believe it or not it didn't do didley squat and had just run over the heat dissipaters.
So to check that i pulled off my amp cover and looked at where it went and it was all fine so i thought ill just melt out the rest of the wax over the night with playing music.
So i left it on and put the lid back on as i was putting the lid back on a cord got in the way and then i was getting it out of the way when the metal top i was putting on touched the power pcb board on the opposite side and sparked. Then it flashed "Protect" and i shut it off quickly.
To test what went wrong i turned it on again and it shorted the house after 15 secs. So i cleaned up the PCB a bit and took some photos.
Its from a Sony 6,2 Mu-Te-Ki receiver "STR-K1600".
It turned on and all went well but then went "Protect" and shorted out the house in 15 secs.
Just tell me what i can do and also what chemicals are best used for cleaning burns and rust from pcb's.
Thanks so much this is my first post and if you guys help me i might be willing to make a donation seeing as i cant afford to buy a new amp.
Pics:

Sorry for any lack of detail. Please i need your help. Just ask for details.

I Ce Burg

In the past I have used rubbing alcohol to clean my pcb. Possibly use a cotton swab if its only a small area. Don't use water or something that takes a long time to evaporate. And personally to be safe I have always given it an excessive 24 hour dry period even if it is the littlest bit. Can't be to safe I guess. Oh and I recommend 90% isopropyl alcohol. 50% isn't enough and 70% will work fine, but 90% is just another safety net. I typically buy it from Rite Aid.

Nightingale
Nightingale's picture

THanks for your help.
Anybody else know how much damage ive done?

Nightingale
Nightingale's picture

Nobody has anything else?
Anything to say abour what it might be. I dont know how to trial and error or find out if the traces are buggered.
Please Help!

Vortex88

Sorry, I know computer parts and what they do, but I'm not really an expert on how they work. Well what I mean by that is that I wouldn't be able to create my own computer chip or board, so looking as something like this, I really have no idea of the extent of the damage that was done.

I can tell you that computer parts or chips like this are very susceptible to static shock or over voltage. A small static shock can damage a component or sometimes render it completely useless.

Nightingale
Nightingale's picture

OK every bit helps.
My plan is to clean it with isopropyl alcohol and then solder it back to the what the other ones look like.
Sounds like a good plan its a great Amp and costs about $600 and came with a full set up. So i cant afford to lose it.

slugbug

You can try but I would be worried that the traces might be damaged.

dustyschaffner
dustyschaffner's picture

clean it and fix the solder no doubt but if it still doesnt work right then the little "POP" could have caused a power surge, frying other components

Nightingale
Nightingale's picture

Thanks for that ill be sure to check everything out
and since money is tight i may have to opt sending it to sony.
Especially if i cant find another 6.2 amp they are all usually 6.1!

Hilmar

It doesnt look like the burnt area is that damaged, easily fixed. However it could have fried other components, and that would be bad :(

Clean it, if you have a multimeter check if the lines still conduct current (is that how its said? im from denmark)

If theres no connection then find a scrap wire or something and solder it to make a contact, or just some solder might fix it.

Nightingale
Nightingale's picture

So i cleaned it and i got it all set up and it ran! Then it said protect but it didn't surge the house so i fiddled with the controls and go the protect to turn off.
Now it was all set up with the right cords and my comp was set up right as well. I even did a restart.
But no sound will PLAY!
The screen says that the music is going into the computer bu no sound is going out to my speakers not even the sub that has its own power.
I'm stumped and my next course of action if i get no help will be to go to SONY.
Help please anybody who knows somebody ask them about this please?
Thanks,

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Looking at the pictures, there was some board damage, and possibly a cracked trace. If you have a multimeter, check and make sure that the trace (the big metallic area showing cracks) is transmitting between the two solder joints. If not, add a piece of copper wire between the two solder joints to compensate.

Aside from that, it is possible that the problem there has caused another component to fry. I couldn't say without the equipment in front of me.

In all honesty, amplifiers and other audio equipment is still fairly crude and easy to test and repair... not like a modern PC motherboard, which is just about a throw away and buy another situation due to the high component count and so many small leads.

Nick McDermott - 3dGM Admin