Bricked EAH5850 :(((

8 replies [Last post]
johnkapsis

Hey Rod!

So here's my prob.
My brother got a grab on my ASUS5850 while i was out to work cause his on-board graphics sucked, he installed it just fine (and it wasn't the first time either!) and used it until i came back, i was rather tired so i told him to keep it, i was gonna use my laptop for my mails and a bit of browsing.
He however wanted to place it back as he was feeling that i should be able to use it and enjoy an hour on my pc!
(he is a good kid really!) the problem is that as soon as he installed it back on my pc the cards fan was running like crazy and the PC would not boot!! giving 1 long beep and 3 short ones! i connected the motherboard (ASUS crosshair formula iv) to my laptop with the ROG connect function (neat thing and helpfull) and it said that the "VGA BIOS fail"!!!
I got a bit angry (didn't said anything to him though) and searched the web for possible help and solutions.
I then figured that a BIOS flash might be the answer! but when i tried all the necessary steps i got even more frustrated cause non of the tools (atiflash) could "see" my card! ("no adapter found" message!) not on my brothers pc with his on-board graphics and neither on mine with a 9800GSO Magic that i borrowed form a friend! my last hope is that if i use another ATI card like a 4*** maybe the 5850 will be "seen" by the atiflash! other then that i have no ideas! I cannot RMA the card as it is 2 months over the RMA period and i highly doubt that the service of the place i bought it from could fix it! (I'm from Greece). I kinda hate my situation cause that card cost me like 300€ and i cannot afford another one any time soon! also this is the 2nd major bummer i had in 10 days!!

So my questions are these.

a. Do you think it is actually the cards BIOS? And if so do you know any other ways i could flash it with a clean BIOS?
b. What do you think that might have caused this?
c. Is there any place i could send the card to be fixed?
d. If i must give out all hope on this card what should i aim for?
e. I noticed that the 6850 is much cheaper then the 5850 why so?
f. Is going up in models a good idea or should i go again for the same card?

I'm very sorry for this very long winning of mine but i really feel sad like hell! Any advice/help is GREATLY appreciated!

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Again, this is a post that should have gone to Hardware, not in questions to Rodney. PLEASE READ STICKIES BEFORE POSTING! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

A) As far as your card is concerned, if during it's boot cycle it states "VGA BIOS Fail" than the BIOS has failed and IS TELLING YOU SO CLEARLY!

Reprogramming the card in-system is impossible because it will not mount to the slot. It has no software to do so if the BIOS is down.

B) Power issues, corrupt BIOS file during attempted update, heat issues, bad parts, or just bad luck.

C) It CAN be reprogrammed by electronic connection to an EPROM writer if the BIOS chip is sound, or you can replace the chip entirely, though most cards have them soldered to the board now rather than in pop sockets. You need to contact the manufacturer for information on where you need to send the card for repair.

D) Cost is the factor on whether or not to give up hope.

E) Welcome to the "old part vs. new part" debacle. Sometimes the new part is more efficient, but not necessarily as powerful, or maybe just as powerful, or more so, but cheaper to make. Look at reviews and benchmarks and see the difference. There is no clear answer.

F) Again, new models wouldn't be made if they didn't improve somewhere. If you have to replace the card, you may want to consider keeping up with the generational gap so you don't miss some NEW FEATURE that software will start requesting in the near future.

Nick McDermott

johnkapsis

I posted it here cause i would really like to know his views on this!
If this question should be transferred to somewhere more appropriate then I'm all for it!!

As for my card:
If it would cost me around 50 - 100€ then i think i would fix it, where can i find info about where i could have it fixed? there is nothing in the ASUS site!

I can understand why a newer card could be cheaper AND better i just can't understand what are the features that makes the 6*** better then the 5*** and if i get it right ( from the reviews I've seen) the 5850 (i.e) is not equivalent to the 6850, i hope i make sense here, so i was wondering witch card should i aim for considering new technologies (newer models with new features) in the power range of the 5850.
TBH I'm not a very hard core gamer but i do have 3 FullHD monitors and i like the eyecandy whenever i do game.
Also i am doing a bit of video editing and the fact that my graphics card is (i should say was) boosting conversion times is very nice! Also i wanted to be able to crossfire ( i was planning on that for October with another 5850). So if i MUST buy a new one what should i aim for considering i was quite happy with the 5850???

Thank you for taking time to help me out!

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Quoted from the sticky:

Tivon wrote: "THIS SECTION IS FOR ASKING RODNEY QUESTIONS THAT HE MIGHT ANSWER WITH A VIDEO REVIEW. PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS OR DECISIONS ON POSSIBLE BUILDS. ALL OF THAT STUFF BELONGS IN THE GENERAL HARDWARE AND THIS SECTION IS FOR ASKING RODNEY QUESTIONS THAT HE MIGHT ANSWER WITH A VIDEO REVIEW. PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS OR DECISIONS ON POSSIBLE BUILDS. ALL OF THAT STUFF BELONGS IN THE GENERAL HARDWARE AND ELECTRONICS."

You need to CONTACT ASUS, by phone, or by their customer service contact. I was specific when I said CONTACT. This information isn't just laying around. You need to be in communication with someone at Asus.

There is a split decision on the HD 5850 vs the HD 6850. The 5850, by 6% overall, is faster, but it is also a much larger power user than the next generation. However, the 6850 is better at tessellation, AA, and tasks out better as a video rendering device as the previous device. If you are just looking at the power, the 5850 is the champ, but BARELY. If you are planning to Crossfire your rig, the 6850 would be the way I would point you.

Nick McDermott

ihatenvidia

Most Asus graphic cards have 3 years manufacturer warranty (I think the same goes for your card). Contact them if you can RMA that shit, from what I can see, it isn't your fault, contact them and tell them what happened, some of these top brands have good customer service and will help you immediately.

johnkapsis

I was reading this (after what i thought it was a bad idea) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
So i can't help myself but ask!

Are PCIe cards (like a modern graphics card) hotpluggable??

Can i switch one card in a TURNED ON system with another???

I am thinking that this might allowed me for flashing the bios on my bricked card...

I tried with the ASUS service and it is gonna be a really bad experience! no actual ASUS service in Greece AND the company that is their representative here are extremely busy and i think (after a small talk with one of their technicians) that they are not equipped for a bios flash on a card that is not recognized by a motherboard!!

eire1274
eire1274's picture

VGA cards are not hot pluggable. Unfortunately, the BIOS won't initiate unless the PC is on a boot cycle, and without a BIOS connection the slot will not activate. Hence, it still won't show up as an active device and will not respond for BIOS updates. You MUST have the base portion of the BIOS available to update it, otherwise there is NOTHING creating the software link to push the module.

You likely will need to ship your card to Asus Taiwan for RMA, but you likely are within the warranty period to get a replacement.

Nick McDermott

johnkapsis

All went well after all!
the card is still in warranty!!! yay!!
It will take quite a lot of time for the repair or replacing of the card but the costs are all covered by the reseller and AMDs representative in Greece!

I am amazed tbh but thankfull as hell!!!

Thank you to all who helped me out here!

johnkapsis

Hey everyone!!
Just updating cause i have nothing else to do...
The Reseller i got the card from received the card by Courier yesterday as the notified me but it will be five days until their suppliers service department contacts me about my problem with the card! After that i imagine they will need a few days to test it and see whats wrong and if they can fix it, and after that if they repair the card then they must send it to the store i got it from and from there it must be send to me, if they don't manage to fix it then the supplier authors the reseller for a "refund" in which case i can order any other card i want and pay any difference in price.
All and all should be at least two weeks and no sooner!!!
The good side is that i will not pay a single cent!!! (Unless it's not fix-able and i get that 6970!)
So... yeah, slow process but at least i am getting serviced!