Adding a HDD to a Dell PowerEdge 2900 server

2 replies [Last post]
viperrcr

I am going to order an additional SATA2 HDD for our Dell PowerEdge 2900 server for an internal backup solution as I have been having problems with my external HDD "dropping out" frequently and is unreliable.

The server has an existing two drive RAID1 array through the PERC controller via the front of the chasis.

I ordered the proper Hot Swap HDD cage for the HDD (Dell F9541).

Do I simply install the drive in the cage and insert it into the front of the case?
Or do I need to attach any SATA or SATA Power cable to the backplane or anything?

I want this to be a single separate drive not to be part of the array.
I have read that it would have to be configured as a single drive in a RAID0 in order to be accessibe to Windows 2003 Server.

Any input appreciated!

chrisrice93

Doesn't RAID 1 act as a backup already?
For the drive cage you probable have to connect the power and data to the back of it, install it in the case then you will be able to pop in the hdd

viperrcr

Yes, the raid 1 is a backup already, however I just wanted to add a redundant backup.

I got around to this the other day and the backplane is already pre-connected for both power and data. Just had to install the drive in the hot-swap cage and slide the drive in and configure it within OpenManage as a single drive RAID0 and partition then format it. Super easy.