7970 Ghz or GTX680? (along with other related questions)

6 replies [Last post]
thedarkfade

Hey my fellow geeks, once again I need your rich knowledge and extreme brainpower to help me decide, for the good deeds of the people....

Now here is a flow of questions for you to answer if you are kind enough to do so.

1. Which is better, Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition(A) or GTX680 (B)? (price considered)

(If it's A, answer #2)
(If it's B, answer #3)

2a) Best Radeon HD 7970 Ghz edition card?

b) Is 6GB needed?

3. Best GTX680?

4. With the best card you considered, will it be able to play modern games in triple screen with decent settings at a acceptable frame rate, for say min 30-40?

Really appreciate your precise time looking through my dumb passage and leave me a comment. Thanks a lot.

My Build:
Case: Xigmatek Asgard Pro Black Edition Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel 3rd Generation i5-3570 @ 4.2 Ghz Graphics Card: Asus HD 7770 1 GB GDDR5
RAM: Adata 4GB DDR3 1333 X 2

spawnkiller
spawnkiller's picture

If a single monitor is used then 2GB is enough and for 3d, i think NVIDIA have a better solution at this time

For triple monitor setup, you really want the 4 or 6GB version of either card, that will ensure you'll not runs out of video memory at high resolution...

I surely take the GHZ edition if i buy a 7970 and depending on the games you play, you should check some games performance cause the 7970 is faster in some games and lower in others as they're NVIDIA optimized or use Physx...

The choice is hard because they both perform really well and have about the same price, just different branding but i think the AMD will be faster at bigger resolution like 3 X 1080P monitor as test/reviews proof so, if you're not a 3D gamer, then i choose the 7970 ghz edition ;)

Gaming PC: MSI Z77A-G45 ::: Intel Core I7 3770k @ 4.83Ghz ::: EVGA GTX680SC Signature ~1300mhz Boost/7122mhz ram ::: 16GB 4*4gb G.Skill 2240mhz CL10 ::: ASUS Xonar DX ::: Crucial M4 128gb (windows) + Intel 330 180gb (Steam games) + 1TB Caviar Black (storage) ::: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold M1000 ::: Antec P280 ::: Noctua NHU12P SE2 ::: ASUS VE247H ::: Logitech G510 ::: Cooler Master Storm Sentinel II ::: Logitech X530 ::: Steelseries Siberia V-2 Black & gold edition

98% Of people under 25 surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

thedarkfade

Thanks for the comment, spawnkiller.

Just wonder if the mods that are said to allow AMD graphics card to run Physx are reliable, if so, that would be great. Anyone know anything new about that?

spawnkiller
spawnkiller's picture

Already tried that but not worth it, i finish with a unstable always BSOD windows so i not recommend it to anyone, anyway only a few games use physx

Here's a list of them (Don't know if there's more on the list except Borderlands 2 that just came out) http://physxinfo.com/data/vreview.html

thedarkfade

I am not sure, cause Mafia II looks so darn awesome with Physx on, I played Mafia II once with no Physx, not very impressive.

btw, have anyone enable Physx for multi-core? Physx will just run on one core if it runs on CPU as far as I know. If that's available for CPU multi-core, it would be awesome.

Prophet4NO1

I'm running triple screen on two 680 2GB cards. Only a couple games max the RAM on it at 5899x1080 res. That is with bezel correction.

As for Physx. Just get an nVidia card. I have heard on the AMD modded drivers to make it "work" but they are very unreliable. AMD already has some shaky driver to start with, so add ing things the hardware is not intended to do only makes it worse. For the games that support Physx, it makes for some impressive visuals though.

thedarkfade

Thanks for the reply, Prophet.

Do you have any level+type of AA on with those games you play?

Yeah, really impressive effects some Physx games got there.