7970 GHZ CF or 680 GTX SLI

6 replies [Last post]
ZeroCool_jf

Hi everyone :)
i been wanting to change my pc video card and i could use some help choosing.

Either grab 2x 680 GTX or 2x 7970 GHZ edition, seen a few reviews but i still cant decide, each card has it games where it performs better, but from my experience crossfire ain't that smooth, as my current system has a crossfire config, while sli its much smoother and has less problems with it(read that, not sure if its true), but the 7970 ghz edition seams to be performing abit better.

Also if anyone knows if any of them might be more future-proof cuz i'm also aiming at that. maybe Amd as it has more memory ?

Thx for any help given.

EDIT : just to be sure, can a seventeam 850w psu support these cards ?

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture

Easy, but let me give you a run down of what is the purpose of the 7970 GHz edition.

This card was primarily created to combat against Nvidia's GTX 680 as the fastest single GPU card. After several benchmarks, reviewers proofed that the GHz edition managed to oust the 680 from the leaderboard in most tests.

So, your decision is based on how much money you have in your pocket ATM. Although there were criticisms lately about the stability of the Catalyst Drivers AMD has released lately. Even my 5450 always act up on Windows Server 2008 R2. But again, these cards, if you count the non-reference GTX 680s, do perform on par. So how much $$ in your pocket will decide your final outcome.

7970 GHz review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/1.html

ZeroCool_jf

Well i got about 1800 dollars to spend on them, so you might think, wow thats more then enought for 3 even, but now, thats taxes in my country :( but indeed im in between a little more performance and stable drivers and combo config.

But if you care to know they are both costing the very same. so its really down to their differences.

ALSO im not really sure its a ghz edition, its a xfx blackedition, it has a higher clock but might not be the same as the GE.

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Yeah, the "Ghz Edition" simply shows how the initial product was underclocked; typical AMD thinking, when a new core is released they allow the users to try pushing it while the stock clocks are safe, in terms of heat production. Then the products evolve largely as the cooling systems are improved.

Has availability of the GTX 680's improved at all? I know the local shop here has the HD 7970 GEs due in a couple weeks, yet the nVidia cards are backordered again with a "who knows" date.

Nick McDermott

david179057

clock to clock the 7970 is better

Asus P8P67 Deluxe : i7 2600k : Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600
Asus GTX 560 Direct Cu II OC : Corsair H100
Kingston Hyper X 3K 120 GB : WD Caviar Black 1 TB : Windows 7 Home Premium
OCZ ZT 750W PSU : CM 690 II

spawnkiller
spawnkiller's picture

yeah, AMD architecture already have an advance in the 6000 series over 500 nvidia serie... i try a 680 on my PC and that will not be my next GPU... had an 560 over a 5770 and for performance, it's there but for graphic quality no way !! In NVIDIA game optimized like crysis, i only see the difference from the FOD (Field of view) graphic draw when i'm running and i saw all this when my 5770 that have poor FPS have all the details already drawed... so in architecture of their GPU i really think AMD/ATI is in advance over NVIDIA (just check power consuption !!!) but games are NVIDIA optimized so certains games perform better on nvidia GPU...

PS: My next GPU will surely be a 7900 series with a new i7 config, for me... that said a lot, just check my config i had choose a q6600 GO SLACR (VID 1.235) for overlocking and i know that all my new hardware will be at the top !!!

Anyway, the 7970ghz perform as well as the GTX680 but check the prices and the game optimisation ;) you'll clearly have the best choice in your face ;) (but i really think NVIDIA have better driver than AMD and i'd really love to have better driver on AMD side cause they could potentially win the battle easily with just that !!)

Gaming PC: MSI Z77A-G45 ::: Intel Core I7 3770k @ 4.83Ghz ::: EVGA GTX680SC Signature ~1300mhz Boost/7122mhz ram ::: 16GB 4*4gb G.Skill 2240mhz CL10 ::: ASUS Xonar DX ::: Crucial M4 128gb (windows) + Intel 330 180gb (Steam games) + 1TB Caviar Black (storage) ::: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold M1000 ::: Antec P280 ::: Noctua NHU12P SE2 ::: ASUS VE247H ::: Logitech G510 ::: Cooler Master Storm Sentinel II ::: Logitech X530 ::: Steelseries Siberia V-2 Black & gold edition

98% Of people under 25 surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

spawnkiller
spawnkiller's picture