1366 x 768 resolution netbook?

6 replies [Last post]
CaptainYouPlanet

I'm considering getting a netbook, but I want one with that resolution since 1024 x 600 just won't cut it for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like for it to be able to play flash games and videos well. I won't be doing much gaming on it except for the occasional old RTS or something.

I was looking at the ASUS Eee PC 1201N, but with the single-core N450 CPU I'm wondering how it performs in the tasks I stated.

i7 2600k | 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 460 1GB | 640GB HDD | Corsair HX1000 | CM690 II Adv. | Windows 7 64-bit

omally
omally's picture

um well for the same price you can get -portability and +the power

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115852

i am not sure if they have any netbooks that have that res tho

hnkftalnot

You should look at the newer models with at least 11 inch screen. - those are 1366 x 768 from what I have seen.
The 1201N actually has a dual core atom (N330) processor, I don't know where you read N450?
Also the 1201N has Nvidia ION onboard, so it's rather powerful graphically and should handle HD content easily.

The Asus eee 1201N is the first decent netbook IMO (albeit a little overpowered graphically), and I thought other dual core models have come out as well. I wouldn't settle for less (single core).

CaptainYouPlanet

I got that it has a 450N from this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1201PN-PU17-BK-12-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B003QR039M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289103360&sr=8-2

That's the one I was actually looking at. However, I'm now torn between getting something like that and getting a mid-range gaming laptop for a few hundred more bucks. There's an Acer laptop on Newegg that has a quad-core i7 CPU and a 5730 with a 1600 x 900 resolution for under $1000. The netbook would be nice for its portability, but certain older RTS just don't look right at the resolutions a netbook is capable of.

hnkftalnot

Ah that's the 1201PN, seems to be the successor of the 1201N but not much has changed.

The ION chip is nice but I don't think it's really meant for gaming.. That Acer from Newegg is certainly much better than any netbook, but hows the batterylife?

CaptainYouPlanet

I don't think the battery life would be as good as a netbook, probably two hours at the most (this is from the experience I had with my ASUS laptop I sold about a month ago, it lasted about 1.5-2 hrs. with its 9800M GS GPU).

The main thing that concerns me about a netbook is the lack of an optical drive. Due to the fact that I wouldn't be doing anything major with it I would probably get out my old XP disc and install that on there instead of Windows 7, but I would obviously need a USB optical drive, and I don't know if installing XP works with those considering how old the OS is.

To be quite honest, I may just wait a while before buying a laptop/netbook. There are other things I need to spend money on at the time, such as Christmas gifts and upcoming bills.

hnkftalnot

That battery life really sucks, I have a friend with a pretty strong laptop that gets about the same (about 2hrs), and it's not very useful when you're on the road. That's what I like about netbooks, but you'll have to sacrifice some performance for that.

You don't need an optical drive to install OSs, most of them (if not all) can be installed from a regular flashdrive. I haven't tried it with XP yet, but a quick google search shows that even XP has a workaround for that.

And I know your doubts, I've been wanting to buy a netbook for 6 months now but keep postponing it. Good thing about that is you can see if anything better will come out.