10" Netbook powered by GTX 580 possible?

15 replies [Last post]
aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

Just wondering, in your opinion, is it even possible for 10" netbook to be powered by GTX 580, even with extreme cooling? Some say on yahoo that it was impossible, but I don't see how it was impossible. Heck, if it doesn't have enough battery power to power this thing, just throw in nanobattery when that comes out. Let me know what you think in the comment below!

Lvaneede
Lvaneede's picture

I dont think a 580 would fit in a netbook form factor

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

GTX 580 FTW edition looks pretty thin, as it is single slot solution.

I honestly think it's possible and I have a plan that could work, might be million dollars idea.

chrisrice93

The ftw edition is meant for watercooling so add a rad and pump in there and the whole setup would take up more space than a dual slot. By the way, I doubt that a netbook has a full size pci-e slot.

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

Exactly! In order for this to work, we need to use watercooler to cool the netbook. Now the question is that where do we put the radiator and the pump? How about we make the power cord and power brick as part of water cooling system as well? Let's make the power brick the radiator and between the cord and the brick a water passage for water tube. This should be much safer than the desktop one because if it leaks, it'll only leak outside the computer, not the inside. The internal tube system will use the same materials as it used for Corsair H50, so it'll never leaks. We'll make power cord and non-leakable water tube detachable from the computer, so in case you want to take it on the go, it'll automatically switch from GTX 580 to integrated graphics and use it's heat sink as a passive cooler. If that auto switch doesn't work, then manual switch will do. Now what about the CPU? How about we throw in core i7 990x or 2600K and when it is on battery, it'll automatically switch to intel atom. Of course, we're going to have a custom netbook with pci-e compatiable or probably make it hard wired. So, what do you think so far?

chrisrice93

Idk if using a passive cooler with little/no airflow on a gtx580 is a good idea, those things get pretty hot with even the best coolers and I definitely would not want a card that could start a fire on my lap. And the screen size/resolution is usually too good on netbook so...

ShortAlieN
ShortAlieN's picture

I'm not sure if I should give a serious answer to this question or if the original poster is just... well, a couple cans short of a six pack, if ya get my meaning. What do I think? I think I better not tell you because it will probably get me in trouble.

It's not what you do, it's how well you do it.

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

Of course not, you use water cooler on GTX 580 and passive cooler on intel integrated graphics. If you haven't checked the benchmark on GTX 580 FTW, it cools really well.

And to shortalien, how would that get you in trouble? If you mean original poster as answers.yahoo.com, that's me who's asking.

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Okay, here's the question: the "netbook" form factor tends to be wrapped around Intel Atom and AMD E-series chips, specifically because of the fact that they need little cooling. Putting a GTX580 in there defeats the "low heat" concept, and you would have a machine that would burn your knees and eat it's battery in minutes.

For something that small, the AMD Fusion devices seem to have the edge in providing graphics on a low-heat and power-efficiency standpoint. nVidia needs to get some more mobile chips out in this bracket, but it isn't going to be as fast as the GTX580.

Nick McDermott

ShortAlieN
ShortAlieN's picture

ok
#1 It is not possible to tuck a 580 anywhere in a Netbook: Card Dimensions 10.5" x 4.38"
The card itself is longer, thicker and almost as wide as a Netbook.

#2 The battery could not power a 580: System Requirements: Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)

#3 There is no Netbook, to my knowledge, with a PCIe 2.0 x16 expansion slot.

#4 you couldn't even hook the 580 up to a 10" Netbook monitor without a DVI or HDMI connection.

#5 As well as a GTX 580 FTW cools, It has to have someplace to get rid of the heat. If there is no radiator, or too small of a radiator the card will overheat and get damaged.

As grand of an Idea as this may seem, Keeping the Netbook form factor is impossible. There is a reason these are called Desktop Graphics cards. Eventually the 500 series processors will end up in a Laptop, but Netbooks are not designed for the games or graphics processing. They are called Netbooks for a reason, used primarily for web surfing, facebook, and other low cpu/gpu usage.

All dimensions and specifications taken from an EVGA 015-P3-1589-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) FTW Hydro Copper 2 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

As far as what I think.... I think that if you ever thought this actually possible or viable for any reason, please step away from you computer, slap yourself and go do something else.

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

1: If GTX 580 is too big to fit in netbook regardless of how much you modify, even in FTW edition, then I guess we can try GTX 580m since it's designed specifically for laptop.

2: If you haven't watched Sci Fi Science, there is a prototype nano-battery being developed by US military top secret lab and it is believed that it could provide up to 50 mega-watt (50 million watt) of energy, powerful enough to power the small town and maybe even lightsaber in the future. I don't think we're going to see those in public market for very long time. Here's a link for more info: http://youtu.be/aLcEYbAdyxk

3: It may have x8 and x4. As far as I know, GTX 580 can work with PCIe x4 or x8, but at reduced bandwidth.

4: If you have 580m, I don't think you would have any problem with that.

5: Like I said before, you can make power brick as a radiator. You can make it big if you want, all the cooling process will take place outside the computer.

If all else fail, I guess we can do a little step up to something like Alienware m11x, since it's designed exclusively for gaming as 11.6" form factor, which is pretty close to netbook.

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

@eire1274

You wouldn't think Nvidia Optimus help with GTX 580, right? I don't think today's battery (before nano-battery, of course) are capable of draining the battery that fast. I'm an Alienware m14x user myself and when I tried running the game on battery, the performance degrade dramatically. We already know that gaming laptop like Alienware m18x wouldn't run well on battery anyway, so why not have super powerful netbook being powered entirely by wall along with water tube and ultra low power processor, like intel atom, being powered by battery, if we can shove two different CPUs (one intel core i7 2600K and one intel atom, for example) into one computer.

eire1274
eire1274's picture

I guess I'm stumped. You want all this high power gear in a small portable package... and you don't want it to be portable. Why would you want a desktop computer with a 7" screen?

Nick McDermott

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

Yeah, pretty much, to show off how much that little monster can handle. Why not? It's an achievement! It's still more portable than desktop because it is lightweight and all it takes is wall socket to power this thing without requiring all those wires to hook up. Imagine taking your desktop computer on the trip. Best of all, the hotel you're staying will pay for electric bill, not you, as you'll only pay for room per night. I guess this rules can also apply for nettop as well.

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Well, have fun. Considering that the Atom and i7 use completely different chipsets, the Atom has a limit of 8x PCIe on it's bus and can't handle multi-channel RAM, where the i7 limits at 32x PCIe and needs multi-channel RAM...

I hope you are a genius circuit designer, because I'm trained in circuit design and wouldn't want to try this without, oh, I don't know, the assistance of a complete design facility and staff.

Nick McDermott

aigamerDS
aigamerDS's picture

eire1274 wrote:Well, have fun. Considering that the Atom and i7 use completely different chipsets, the Atom has a limit of 8x PCIe on it's bus and can't handle multi-channel RAM, where the i7 limits at 32x PCIe and needs multi-channel RAM...

I wonder if Intel Core i7 640um (or something similar to that) can handle multi-channel RAM, as it is designed for small laptop like alienware m11x. I do know that PCIe 16x slot is backward compatible with 8x, 4x, and 2x slot, so I'm pretty sure this can apply for CPU as well.

eire1274 wrote:I hope you are a genius circuit designer, because I'm trained in circuit design and wouldn't want to try this without, oh, I don't know, the assistance of a complete design facility and staff.

Thanks! Although I'm not a trained circuit designer, I did modified a Nintendo Wii before with a mod chip using soldering iron before. I can definitely use some help with building a circuit board or something like that. All the explained above is my theory and it could work if we put enough effort into it.