XBOX 360 Wired controller split axis

10 replies [Last post]
EmoHz

Has anyone used an xbox 360 controller for the pc? The MS driver doesnt support split axis on the triggers which really makes the controller useless on shooter or racing games. Ive searched and cant find a driver that supports it, although many mention a driver being out there.

DeV
DeV's picture

Did you try XBCD 360 ?

dhlord64
dhlord64's picture

I have a wired Xbox 360 controller that I use for PC gaming. It works perfectly. It is supposed to install automatically if you have Windows 7. It should work with XP/Vista as well. Microsoft's website should have the drivers.

EmoHz

The driver you use dhlord does not support split axis. And the only method ive gotten to work with windows 7 64 bit is putting windows into testing mode and using an unsigned driver.

Other than that, nothing works. Its very hard to play without split axis on the controllers. Youd think with computer gaming on the rise, more people would be considering this problem, but it seems are to find a solution while searching through google.

Ive been able to manage, and using the mouse and kb helps in some games

dhlord64
dhlord64's picture

I have not heard the term "split-axis" before. I know what progressive analog triggers are. I thought you were talking about that but I guess that is not what it was. Can you fill me in what this means?

EmoHz

For example, Games like Live for speed need split axis on the controllers to control throttle and break separately. If you mash both left and right triggers (which are counted as 1 axis) your throttle and break stay at 0 as they counter each other.

Ive gotten the XBCD drivers to work and successfully use split axis on both triggers, but that requires me to keep windows in a test mode and have a program to force a unsigned driver to work correctly.

The microsoft drivers also dont allow you to map all of the buttons on the controller for some reason. Im on the microsoft driver right now and the controller doesnt show up in many of my games like MW2, Cod4 and a few others. But for some it does ie farcry, crysis, lfs, dirt 3 (which is still hard to play when the trigger axis are counted as 1)

dhlord64
dhlord64's picture

I never noticed that before, very interesting. Usually if you need to brake while still accelerating, you would use the handbrake which would be a face button and not LT. Not entirely sure about that though.

CoD games don't have 360 controller support. Crysis, Far Cry, Dirt all have native 360 controller support.

Sonsonate

Lol. I don't know what you're trying to do, but F1 2010, Dirt 2, Dirt 3 all allow you to brake and accelerate at the same time. If this wasn't the case, why is it that the car moves forward when you're on the accelerator and brake?

Far Cry 2, I just played with the controller, Zoom and Fire are mapped as LT and RT respectively. You can zoom and fire at the same time... Lol... If they cancelled, nothing would happen.

As for Dirt, F1, etc, you can't, obviously, hit full brake and expect to move. Going into a corner, ride on the brake a little while giving it about 90% throttle and your car doesn't lose too much rpm.

As for how hard it is to play in D3 with the controller once again, that's nonsense. I come in 2nd quite often on nearly the highest difficulty with a bit of practice on unknown tracks. On those I do know, with a good car, I win.

Don't think I'm flaming you, I'm just bewildered by your statements.

EmoHz

Go download Live for speed, its free. Try to map your accelerate and brake. They are both on the z axis. Go into controller properties and you will see there is only 1 z axis for the triggers. They do not have separate axis.

If you push both lt and rt the axis stays in the middle just as it would if you werent even pressing either of them.

Sonsonate

You mentioned a ton of other games, all of which do not exhibit this behavior.

Edit: So I just tried Live For Speed and it doesn't do that either..

I can keep the car at a certain speed by hitting the brake a little and holding down the accelerator.
Remove that keymap program and try again with mapping the buttons in the game.

Really unsure as to why you're having that issue.

Great game by the way. Looks dated, but I can live with that.

EmoHz

Its a fun simulator, not worth the $60 i paid for it. Think its down to $20 or so now for s2 but the devs dont work on it anymore so modders took it over.

Ill record a video on post it up. If im the only one having this problem im going to shoot my computer =]