WAY OFF TOPIC: Sony BDP-S580 and Netflix

2 replies [Last post]
eire1274
eire1274's picture

My wife and I finally bit the bullet and ditched the barely-functional Toshiba DVD player that we had hooked up to our LCD TV, and picked up a Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray player. I figured that we have a 46" HD TV, we may as well get HD picture out of it.

The Sony wasn't my first pick, but it got good reviews and also hit my final requirement: price. At $125, its performance bracket was good enough that I couldn't see spending $200 or more for the LG.

Initially, setup was a breeze, it hit my WiFi point with ease, and plays EVERYTHING brilliantly. I was stunned at the very useful Android app that turned my phone into the ultimate remote control. But I finally found a flaw:

Sony does not use the Netflix general format in their apps. It has its own, which while different from what the XBox and Wii sees, works out well in sorting through and playing videos, but the catch is when watching a program with episodes, there is no marker to show what you have seen and what you have not. The app for both the XBox and Wii have this option, and have a marker that shows the next unviewed episode. Supposedly, this was on earlier versions of the software, but after hooking it up the player immediately downloaded a whole new firmware and app set.

Does anyone have any experience with this generation of players, and know if there is a feature I am missing in here? I hate having to remember what I watched last to find the next bit.

Nick McDermott

3dGameMan
3dGameMan's picture

Sony has it's own way of doing just about everything, sometimes for the good, but other times the result dreadful. Like for example their smartphones, while decent, they load up their own software, software 90% of the people don't want and slows down the phone.

Rodney Reynolds,
Register: http://www.3dgameman.com/user/register

eire1274
eire1274's picture

Their own Netflix app is very, very good at streaming, excellent video, excellent audio piped over to the amp via Dolby Digital. People griped about the icons being smaller than what you see in the normal app (most other BR players and all game systems), but I haven't had any issue with it. Everything is quite visible, and there is lots more info than what the console app can get on a video.

But I can't find what episodes I have watched, nor is there a shortcut to play the next unwatched episode. Oh, and I can't seem to be able to rate anything on it.

Ah, well. I've been using my phone as a remote using the Media Control app for Android. So it's Netflix app can see everything the player can't. So I will quit complaining and just celebrate that I ACTUALLY HAVE A NICE BLU-RAY PLAYER for once!

Nick McDermott