Beta Forum Comments/Suggestions

741 replies [Last post]
Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

There is a list of things to do that grows more than it completes, but hey it's all going to be fixed soon. Did anyone notice that the 3GM logo has a glow? lol

tintii
Offline
Joined: 03/27/2010
Posts: 18

im not sure if this has been mentioned but its impossible to start a new paragraph in opera unless you type a character and hit enter before it... like so:

-

SubZero
SubZero's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2007
Posts: 112

Man, this is just taking way too long to fix.  I'm pretty much done in - giving up hope that this will EVER end up even close to the functionality of PHPBB  or IPB or some such "normal" forum software. 

I've tried to be patient, but this forum is pretty much worthless the way it is.

It was a bad decision to try this custom thing.  Wish you would have admitted the mistake and gone with an established setup.

Don't think I'm going to be coming back.  It's just too frustrating.

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

Well on the upside quoting works!

Would be nice if more functionality was added

plus change save to post-this is a must-not a recommendation-save just makes no sense at all!

 Oh and finally I would definitely like to see less spam+not have to use proxies!!

Administrator
Administrator's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/04/2009
Posts: 221

undeadkingpr wrote:...plus change save to post-this is a must-not a recommendation-save just makes no sense at all!

Done! enlightened

Elmex8
Elmex8's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2009
Posts: 140

Hey Admin, look at the pictures I posted a couple of posts ago, I didn't just post them for fun. At least try fixing them =[

Elmex8
Elmex8's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2009
Posts: 140

BTW I agree with subzero, this custom setup is not very efficient. I mean, there are lots of different systems out there, that you could customize and/or change and/or add skins made for 3DGAMEMAN specially. At least you could have finished the product and polished it b4 uploading the system.

Perl, ruby, java, pascal, asp etc'.

Warmacblu
Offline
Joined: 05/26/2007
Posts: 155

I think there is only one person working on the forums as of right now and I can only imagine how hard it is to create one from scratch, let alone deal with threats of people leaving if he doesn't fix a color issue or a post count issue. 

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

I've seen what can be made of this style of forum and it's all good, but you just have to wait because there is only one Zach and his free time. The facts in the case are that the forum was down for a very long time and what you see now was put into place before ready. To be fair Zach has done a lot of stuff these last few weeks. But I understand that it's hard to tell since you all are not aware of our work logs. Some of the bigger issues are out of the way now and more time will be devoted to the tweaking of the forum. And lets be honest, the old forum was dead long before its end, so don't use that as your bases of argument.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

bejohnson wrote:

SubZero wrote:

Man, this is just taking way too long to fix.  I'm pretty much done in - giving up hope that this will EVER end up even close to the functionality of PHPBB  or IPB or some such "normal" forum software. 

I've tried to be patient, but this forum is pretty much worthless the way it is.

It was a bad decision to try this custom thing.  Wish you would have admitted the mistake and gone with an established setup.

Don't think I'm going to be coming back.  It's just too frustrating.

That pretty much sums up my attitude also.  It's a shame to see a once vibrant cyber community shot to hell for no good reason.

My dad had a saying to not cut one's nose off to spite their face.  That is exactly what has happened here.

 

On another note, I reported a spam post about 11 hours ago and it's still there.  Is the forum running without supervision?  Between that, the Cluster F*** in changing the forum software and the apparent inability to correct the plethora of problems with this asinine attempt to create forum software caused by a lack of motivation, ability or both, one would believe that is the case.

 

I was outside working in my yard 11 hours ago. I think the Submit Spam thing just tells the spam filter to check it again. At least I'm not aware of anything that notifies me of it being reported. I found the spam in question and removed it.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Elmex8 wrote:

the logout option is out of line

Elmex8 wrote:

Here is another thing that I saw that probably should be addressed:

Elmex8 wrote:

Here is another problem

BTW Last couple of hours I tryed posting and and it won't work, it just refreshes the page, not even an error.

I'm replying to these issues to keep them current. I will see if they can be added to our list.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 and don't see any problems with the Logout. What browser are you using and what Screen Size?

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

What are you pointing to with the Unanswered topics?

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

I see these errors and will add them to our list if not already done so.

Elmex8
Elmex8's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2009
Posts: 140

The first picture was already fixed. The second one, there is no space between the word "unanswered" and the search bar. I think that might have been fixed too already. The third one you saw yourself.

*EDIT*

no, the second picture was not addressed yet.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

I don't see the problem. What browsers are you using? Looks like this below for me in FireFox 3.6, IE8 and Google Chrome.

 

Zach, I tried to Quote his post and it told me, "The comment you are replying to does not exist."

Salavat23
Salavat23's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/17/2007
Posts: 72

bejohnson wrote:

SubZero wrote:

Man, this is just taking way too long to fix.  I'm pretty much done in - giving up hope that this will EVER end up even close to the functionality of PHPBB  or IPB or some such "normal" forum software. 

I've tried to be patient, but this forum is pretty much worthless the way it is.

It was a bad decision to try this custom thing.  Wish you would have admitted the mistake and gone with an established setup.

Don't think I'm going to be coming back.  It's just too frustrating.

That pretty much sums up my attitude also.  It's a shame to see a once vibrant cyber community shot to hell for no good reason.

My dad had a saying to not cut one's nose off to spite their face.  That is exactly what has happened here.

 

On another note, I reported a spam post about 11 hours ago and it's still there.  Is the forum running without supervision?  Between that, the Cluster F*** in changing the forum software and the apparent inability to correct the plethora of problems with this asinine attempt to create forum software caused by a lack of motivation, ability or both, one would believe that is the case.

 

Agreed. Of course I love all the people here that I've gotten to know over the past few years that I've been here, but this isn't the only forum out there that caters to our interests. People switch forums all the time. Why would someone stay at a forum that does not satisfy them when there are thousands of others out there that offer what I (and others here) want/need? What is plauaging this forum isn't just 1 or 2 issues, its quite of handfull. Honestly, the forum is slow, buggy, bulky, stripped of features, and is taking ages to finish. Time is everything on the internet, and its a shame that its taking so long. Couple that with other inconviniences like lost post counts and there really is no incentive anymore to keep posting.

 

Think of it this way; I have a parking lot full of 10 cars that I own and can access at anytime. 9 of them are identical, but 1 of them is lacking power steering, brakes, and seats. Would I want to ride in that car? No. However, the mechanic keeps promising that he will fix the car. So he takes it all apart one random day without telling the owner. But he doesn't know quite how to fix it, or is lacking the time/resources to put it back together. So he starts all over. He ends up building a barely functioning car with 3 square wheels and a missing roof. Then the mechanic hands you over the keys along with a bill 6 months later. However, during that time you have been using your other 9 cars that you happen to really enjoy. Would you use the "repaired" car afterwards? Would you use a sketchy, rebuilt forum when you have the option of others within a few clicks of your mouse?

 

Going against the grain can be a good thing. But not in an environment where everyone else's products are better than yours, and where you have the potential to lose plenty of your valuable members who helped build the forum to what it was before this fiasco.

Sure this forum is slowly improving. But come on. Open up and use a vBulletin based forum for a while and compare it with this. Sure it may be costlier up front, but is it worth waiting 6+ months and losing plenty of members, as well as ending up with a clearly inferior product?

Now, that is not to say that the old forum was perfect. It could have used an update, or many of the suggestions listed in the "forum suggestions" thread way back when (not sure about the name). We all pitched in at that time, but no one expected it to be taken to a whole new level.

The time to cut losses has passed. But you're still left with (IMO) a half-assed product. Now, that is not to say that this forum is bad, or the Zach Jeffers is not capable of producing a good forum, but it's tough for 1 man to compete with forum companies that hire hundreds of employees that are there to fix bugs and enhance the experience as fast as possible.

Now maybe I'm wrong. And maybe Rodney is seeing his business flourish because of these changes. But from a user perspective that has seen both sides of the spectrum of the old and new forum, it's nothing to brag about.

I still come here and visit every now and again, but the times when I was racking up 2500+ posts per year on this forum is over. And its clear that the majority of old time posters have followed suit.

I used to be proud that I was part of 3GM, but now... I, among others, have little or no motivation to contribute to this forum. Of course it would be nice to get a REAL forum, but we'll have to keep on waiting.

And Tivon, how can you say that the forum is better off today. Look at posts. How many people post in the the hardware section each day today? I see an average of 4-6 posts there each day. And about 0-2 posts each day in the "general comments" section. Back in October, we used to get about 10-20+ posts each in the hardware section alone.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Lets try to keep a positive flow going here and work on the problems. Telling us, "It Sucks" is not going make anything better. Future rants will be deleted by me personally. If you see problems or areas that need improvement let us know so that we can get these issues fixed.

Salavat23
Salavat23's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/17/2007
Posts: 72

Sure thing. I just wanted to voice my opinion regarding Zero's and Barney's posts. If you can't beat them, join them.

I just have a few questions then:

Will there be a "User CP" button on the top bar?

Will there be clickable smilies that we can just select in the text editor?

Why is the "forum" icon on the top bar so far away? IMO would make more sense if it was the second button. The first time I came to this new forum, it took me a while to find the forum button.

Will the "Flag as offensive" link get an icon?

Will you be able to click on the user's name to see more information about them?

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Salavat23 wrote:

And Tivon, how can you say that the forum is better off today. Look at posts. How many people post in the the hardware section each day today? I see an average of 4-6 posts there each day. And about 0-2 posts each day in the "general comments" section. Back in October, we used to get about 10-20+ posts each in the hardware section alone.

Most of the posting today is being done in the Q&A and Video Reviews. There was a little more posting in the hardware section of the old forum, but over all it was dead near the end. I see the numbers going back up all the time, as to be expected now that things are coming together slowly. The fact that we can post at all is better than having no forum if we waited for Zach to complete it 100%.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Salavat23 wrote:

Sure thing. I just wanted to voice my opinion regarding Zero's and Barney's posts. If you can't beat them, join them.

I just have a few questions then:

Will there be a "User CP" button on the top bar?

Will there be clickable smilies that we can just select in the text editor?

Why is the "forum" icon on the top bar so far away? IMO would make more sense if it was the second button. The first time I came to this new forum, it took me a while to find the forum button.

Will the "Flag as offensive" link get an icon?

Will you be able to click on the user's name to see more information about them?

 

1. Going to add "User CP" to the list right now!

2. There is a Smilies option in the text editor. It's temp and will be replaced with something better. I miss our custom smilies. :(

3. Can you photoshop what's wrong with the "forum" icon?

4. I hope most of these options get icons later, I think they will, but these are default options slowly being turned on and tested.

5. Yes, I can click on a users name and see stuff about them and you can't? Hmmmm

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Time wasted today dealing with spam. Google needs to get off their arses and plug the security holes. If it was up to me I'd have banned all Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts.

Take a look at just page one of the accounts I've blocked today. All of those are with Gmail accounts.

Elmex8
Elmex8's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2009
Posts: 140

Im with gmail...im not a spammer...LOL

I think maybe rodney should hire a couple of more developers...at least one to fix the small everyday problems.

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

Im also a gmailer.... So Plz dont ban me...

Need a better filter....-make it so u cant put like 50 lines of spaces b4 the text like 90% of the ads have

Ratchet
Ratchet's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/08/2008
Posts: 159

All of the forum sites I've visited are now plagued with spammers, so we're not alone.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Zach has a spam filter in the works, so my spam hunting days might be over. :)

Optavious
Optavious's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/30/2009
Posts: 16

Out with the old and in with the new...

Stay the course Rodney!

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

Wow this looks rly nice-Good job!

Only thing I could suggest would be maybe to seperate posts a bit more distinctly

Oh and get to post count sometime soon as I feel a lot of people rly value it

 

COME TRAFFIC COME! THE HARDWARE SECTION NEEDS YOU!

undeadkingpr
undeadkingpr's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/21/2009
Posts: 511

Ooh and can you also bring back the time as which a post is made-helps me keep track of what is new/I've read before etc.

Tiv
Tiv's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/12/2009
Posts: 3584

Looking better all the time. yes